Primary slave not detected

freefx 12:25 27 Sep 06

PC CHIP 848ALU

When i installed a second hard disk, the bios cant detect the primary slave. ON Primary only AUTO was displaced , no other details. Slave Not Detected.
o/s win XP. The operating system detect both HD all right. Just the BIOS.

I need the BIOS to detect the second disk so that on booting up i can press F8 to go to boot menu and be able able to specify which HD to boot from.

Any assiatance would be appreciated. Wonder if it is the IDE cable need to be changed to s pecial type?

xania 13:00 27 Sep 06

Just a thought - you need to be sure that the jumper is set to master and (if the IDE strap/cable) has nore than one connector, that you are using the master connector. Thae fact that the OS is detecting what the BIOS is not indicates that you may have used the wrong connector, or that there is a fault on the cable.

sil_ver 13:04 27 Sep 06

with newer HDDs you usually have to fit an 80 wire ribbon. Bootup page will usually tell you if it's not.
I wonder if it would help to disconnect the new HDD, reboot, shut down and reconnect it then boot to BIOS to see if it's recognised. If not you could try resetting CMOS or even moving the drive to the secondary IDE as master.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:24 27 Sep 06

40/80 wire IDE connectors
click here

Cable connections
Is it important which connector, middle or end, the master drive is connected?
Not if you have two drives and they're jumpered Master and Slave, it doesn't matter.
If you jumper them Cable Select - then the end connector is Master and the Centre one is Slave (only 80-wire cables support Cable Select).
If only one drive, it should go on the end connector.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced