//some 3rd party need geo

Primary or Extended Partiton?

Dearersteak 15:13 05 Oct 03

Hi all, Me again! One last question (i hope)

I have now partition my D drive into two 20Gig partition, D an E. E is where i intend to Install Linuxs later on in the week! At pesent, both C, D and E are Ative partision, as i partitioned D and E as Ative.

Is that right, or is the little paranoid voise in the back of my head trying to tell me something? I seem to have the faint idea, that u should have 3 ative partions at onces, or somehting like that? C is where windows XP is already, D is going to house my documnets, and E i will leave empty untill i get round to install Linux. (Knoppix)

Have i missed anything? Or can u point out a misstake before it too late?

powerless 15:37 05 Oct 03

C: Primary (Active) partiton (XP)

D: Extended Partition (docs)

E: Leave as free space. Let knoppix sort out the partition type.

Dearersteak 16:06 05 Oct 03

so if i delete the E partition, and leave it as unlocated?

And can i change my D to extended without reformating that part?

powerless 16:09 05 Oct 03

"so if i delete the E partition, and leave it as unlocated?" - Yes

"And can i change my D to extended without reformating that part? " - You can leave as it is.

Dearersteak 16:11 05 Oct 03

ok, great! So when i come to install Knoppix, will Knoppix be able to detect the free space and them format it into EXT2 (somethignlike that is'nt it) cause a friend told me that i could format it as NTFS, and then Linuxs would see it, and ask u if u wanted to use that, and them do its thing with it?

Which is easyer!?

powerless 16:17 05 Oct 03

Detect free space - yes and then format to its file system.

"cause a friend told me that i could format it as NTFS, and then Linuxs would see it, and ask u if u wanted to use that, and them do its thing with it? " Not sure about that one, i would say NO though. Be careful when you install as you could wipe Windows off the drive. Just double read everything.

Also make backups of you docs etc, just in case it all goes messy!

Do you have a Windows 98 boot disk by the way?

If you find you cannot boot into windows you can use a boot disk to give you access to windows - If something goes wrong the the linux install.

Dearersteak 16:34 05 Oct 03

well, yeah, i have a 98 bootdisk, but i'll make an XP boot disk, cause last time i tryed that, it would'nt reconise the NTFS hard drives, But anyway, i have the XP CD to boot from should it all go horribly wrong!

Right, i'll go delete this partition then! Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…