primary IDE controller not working properly

yvonne-203529 01:17 31 Mar 04

win98,Norton internet security2002(current).
In device manager the primary IDE controller & hard disk show they're not working properly(so running in msdos mode). I clrd cmos & immed. formatted hard drive but I still get the same problem. So I rely on msconfig to restore backup or if that fails, format again.Prior to the last format Norton found a Trojan virus & deleted it for me but I still have the problem.It will run alright for a while after restoring backup until I do something like installing driver software.Do I need a new motherboard?
Your help will be greatly appreciated.
PS comp.doing this since "shareazza" was installed.(now removed)

christmascracker 19:09 31 Mar 04

yvonne-203529 22:57 31 Mar 04

wot is the point of your message?

woodchip 23:03 31 Mar 04

I would say you need a new drive if you have problems with the controller

woodchip 23:05 31 Mar 04

PS are the Motherboard Drivers loaded for the computer, if it's a Via chipset you may get away with downloading the Via 4 in 1 drivers and installing them

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 23:05 31 Mar 04

Try reinstalling your motherboard drivers and/or your IDE drivers for your mobo.

yvonne-203529 04:48 01 Apr 04

thanx for your help guys, I had a sneaking suspicion it might be the HDD after reading thru a Tips & Tricks mag today.

christmascracker 10:21 01 Apr 04

You had slipped down to the third page.

I was just putting you to the top of the board again, even though I didn't have the answer myself.

By putting you back to the top obviously more people will read and maybe help.

yvonne-203529 08:43 04 Apr 04

thankyou to Woodchip & everyone who replyed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…