Primary IDE channel -no 80 conductor cable fitted.

jack 15:35 28 Feb 06

You know that old chestnut- 'No keyboard detected- press F1 to continue'?

Well now in putting together a machine from my 'Bitza' box It all runs but when the post gets going it reports 'Primary IDE channel- no 80 conductor cable fitted ' Then goes on to tell me the hard drive, the make, how big etc.,
So what does that mean?

gudgulf 16:12 28 Feb 06

It could mean that you have put a 40 conductor cable in.......these are normally used on the cd drives.

On the 40 pin ribbon each conductor is relatively easy to see whereas the 80 pin ribbon's conductors are very fine and near imposible to count.

The difference is in performance....standard 40 pin is ATA 33 (or 66) whereas the 80 pin connector will run up to ATA 133 speed.In other words the 40 pin will slow down the hard drive.It will still work though.

€dstowe 16:20 28 Feb 06

I could be that you have put an 80 wire cable in the wrong way round.

Note that both 80 wire and 40 wire cables use the same connector with 40 or 39 pin outs. It is the way they are wired that's important.

jack 16:31 28 Feb 06

Looks like your'e right 'G'
Pulled all my bits out - loads of cables - floppy and CD every one of 'em.
This means I will have to go out and spend MONEY- its all too much, spending my pension on 'puter bits and not Guinness. -I'll have hump for the rest of the day now.

jack 16:33 28 Feb 06

CD Stowe- getting them in should not be a problem
the coloured end goes next to the power con -I am right?

€dstowe 16:34 28 Feb 06

Click the yellow envelope and email me your address, jack, and I'll send you an 80 conductor IDE cable.

€dstowe 16:40 28 Feb 06

There will be three connectors on the cable. The middle one is off-centre. It is the end connector with the longest length of wire between it and the middle connector which goes to the motherboard.

Don't rely on the colours as I have cable with three black connectors on it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:56 28 Feb 06

You cannot us cable select CS jumper setting on a hard drive if you only have a 40 pin cable fitted.

jack 11:52 01 Mar 06

Thak you Eric for the offer, now awaiting the post with baited breath.

Stuartli 13:25 01 Mar 06

I get the message that the Secondary IDE channel has no 80-way cable fitted...:-)

€dstowe 14:35 01 Mar 06

Posted this morning, first class mail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5