primary hard disk failure

little arthur 21:46 03 Jun 04

i have a tiny pc running windows me.unfortunately i cannot get it to start up it comes up with the message"PRIMARY HARD DISK FAILURE".Also i cannot do a system restore i get error code #88 unable to find drive.Can anybody help me please

Mister Splendid 22:07 03 Jun 04

Does the hard drive make any unusual noises, load clicking, grating or grinding? Does the drive spin-up? Check the power and data cables are properly connected. The data cables on SATA drives are especially prone to problems.

little arthur 22:32 03 Jun 04

there are no noises at all and the red light which normally come on to say the system is loading does not.

Fruit Bat 22:45 03 Jun 04

Switch off

Open case

Check ribbon plugged in tight both ends on drive and on board.

Check power lead pluged in tight to drive (swap if have spare)

Reboot Pc and check messages again/

little arthur 22:48 03 Jun 04

got the side off the tower unit to check the wires, can you please elaberate, what is the SATA drive ?

Fruit Bat 22:53 03 Jun 04

SATA serial ATA thin red (usually) cahle as opposed to 40 or 80 wire ribbon cale on IDE ATA drives

woodchip 22:53 03 Jun 04

Try a new Data Ribbon Cable

little arthur 22:57 03 Jun 04

checked cables all cables seem to be fine and are tightly secured.been having problems for a while now.

Fruit Bat 23:01 03 Jun 04

Have you got 2nd cable plugged into CD drive if so remove from CD and plugg into HDD and retry

woodchip 23:02 03 Jun 04

You cannot tell if the cable is any good by looking at it. the plugs are just squashed on when made and cut through the insulation and are known to fail. The only way to check is with a new one. Or swap cable with other one to test

Fruit Bat 23:07 03 Jun 04

click here for info on how to fit / troubleshoot computer equip

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…