Price ripoff.

Meshuga 15:15 02 Mar 03

Anyone using Iomega 100 Zip disks should be aware
of the ripoff by pc world (surprise surprise)
in the price charged for the above disks.
Bought singly they are £14-99 each which makes
the price of 6 bought singly £89-94. Yet a 6pack is £59-99 which makes the price of 1 from a 6pack
£9-99. Maplin sell them singly at £9-99. It`s no wonder PCWorld/Dixons are always getting in hot water for some of their practises.Meshuga.

mikef™ 15:34 02 Mar 03

This is nothing unusual just have a wonder round your local Supermarket or any other shop and you'll find multipacks are cheaper than buying the equivalent number of individual items, that is because it is more ecnomical to produce and sell a multipack.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:34 02 Mar 03

errrrm....I don't really understand your point. Every shop I use charges less for quantities of the same item. I was unaware that this was not common practice. I am also bemused at how you think that this is a rip-off as you are getting a much cheaper price if you buy in bulk. Ever heard of the '3 for the price of 2' offers in every supermarket throughout the UK? I assume that you would prefer them to charge the £89.64 for 6 rather than £59.99 so that this would not be a rip off? Meh! x 6 for this one.

G

armageddon_outta_here 16:45 02 Mar 03

I think the point Meshugais is making is very clear. I can't understand why anyone can't get it. He is pointing out that the Size of the difference is excessive, not just compared with a pack of 6 - £30 difference on a pack of 6 would buy you alot a tins of beans - and is also excessive compared with another local shop.

Well done Meshuga. Excellent bit of detective work and thanks for the advice.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:54 02 Mar 03

They obviously want to sell packs of 6, this is called marketing. Every shop does it and I fail to see why anyone should be amazed. Is it excessive when a bottle of shampoo is £3 yet 3 cost only £6....methinks Boots ought to be told.

G

Meshuga 17:13 02 Mar 03

Thank you armageddon_outta_here for seeing my point. Of course I accept that buying in bulk is always cheaper but 30 Quid difference.Especially when PCWs latest sales pitch is "We are stamping down on prices`Hard. Me, I go to maplin next time.
Thanks to all who replied.Meshuga.

Meshuga 17:13 02 Mar 03

Thank you armageddon_outta_here for seeing my point. Of course I accept that buying in bulk is always cheaper but 30 Quid difference.Especially when PCWs latest sales pitch is "We are stamping down on prices`Hard. Me, I go to maplin next time.
Thanks to all who replied.Meshuga.

DieSse 17:16 02 Mar 03

Retailers are free to charge whatever they wish - customers are free to go elsewhere for a lower price. If PC-World lose sales through this - that's their choice - I would imagine they simply want to sell more 6-packs.

If it had been presented as "Hey guys, maplin sell their single Zip Disks much more cheaply than PC-World" - this is useful consumer advice, which no-one would argue with. It's the "rip-off" suggestion that tends to get opinions a bit charged up.

obbit 17:58 02 Mar 03

i've always been told to take a fat cheque book when visiting pc world. i always understood they were more expensive than other places.

-pops- 18:07 02 Mar 03

Think how many CD blanks you can buy for the price of a Zip disk (at whatever price stated above) and remember CDs are 6·5 or 7 times as capacious.

Rip-off? I should co-co{:-))

Brian

Scouse 18:11 02 Mar 03

I have a Zip 100 on my PC and would happily pay the above price for 6 discs. The problem is at this stage of computing advancement I find it hard to justify the use of 100MB storage facilities.

I am currently considering removal of my internal Zip and replacing it with a removable HDD.

100MB is just too small for todays large capacity files.

Scouse

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…