Price of a hard drive

night flyer 19:16 14 Mar 04

Hi all,

After a recent encounter trying to install linux on a drive with XP With no luck.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a second hard drive to try and run it from there.

OK here's the problem " CASH " lol no.

I only need a small hard drive 3/4 gb will be ok so i looked on Ebay,Problem is the prices are so varied.could anyone give me an idea of a realistic price i should be able to get one for.

I don't want to be ripped off,Still very wary of Ebay.

Thanks in advance

Rayuk 19:18 14 Mar 04

Can you not make a seperate partition using disk management on your hard drive.And instal Linux on that.

night flyer 19:21 14 Mar 04

Thanks for the quick reply rayuk,But this was the problem,i could'nt get it to install with XP i am still having nightmares over it,but i won't go there again.

I think a small seperate drive will work ok for me.

Thanks anyway

keith-236785 19:26 14 Mar 04

3/4 gig drives are so small now that they have become expensive again, go for a 10(if you can find one) or 20 gig drive.

i have just bought a 40 gig drive for someone for £35 inc VAT.

pcworld sell this

WESTERN DIGITAL
WDC30066D
40GB 5400RPM IDE DRIVE

£39.95
Price inc VAT

in the component center (brown box section)

if you really want a small drive, buy Micromart (£1.80 at whsmiths out every thursday), in the freeads section you will find what you want.

click here, and click on classifieds....
at this point you would need to register (its free)

night flyer 19:27 14 Mar 04

I was hoping to be able to find one for under £10 is this not realistic ?

Gaz 25 19:30 14 Mar 04

I dont think you will find one for that price now. Maybe you will, but I dont think so.

Rayuk 19:39 14 Mar 04

All you can do is go through ebay see who says no bad sectors etc and together with postage what you can get for £10[there are a few there at the moment]I think either way for £10 you will have to take a small risk.

keith-236785 19:40 14 Mar 04

night flyer, to install linux on the same drive as XP.

if you dont have a win98 disk, goto click here and choose win98SE, download and then double click (you will need one floppy disk)

you would need a seperate partition on your drive, start fdisk (from win98 floppy start up disk you need to have bios set to boot from floppy first for this bit), and remove the partition that is going to be for linux (effectively leaving unused space on your hard drive,

then change bios to boot from cd, insert linux disc 1 and reboot.

sidecar sid 19:42 14 Mar 04

Any good?

click here

Select Hard drives then as new pulled Hard drives

night flyer 19:44 14 Mar 04

This might explain things better. click here

night flyer 19:49 14 Mar 04

Thanks sidecar sid,

Just looked there only one problem,The 2.1 gb is £18.04 with P&P.

I'll go see if i can have any luck on Ebay.

Thanks anyway

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…