Pri Master HDD failed

markbrace 13:42 12 Nov 04

whilst using my pc (Packard bell intel celron with win xp) this error message appeared on the monitor:Pri Master HDD failed, after several reboots other message appeared such as:ultra DMA mode-2, S.M.A.R.T. capable but command failed. I asked a software programmer and he stated that the hard drive may be dead. But the PC is still trying to run, and has offered opportunities to startup in DOS safe mode etc and when started in safemode the pc runs system checks then collapses at various points.Would anyone know what the cause and solution to the problem is. Latest message in a windows error message form was: issas.exe unable to locate component This app has failed to start because dnsap1.dll was not found, try reinstalling app to fix prob.
I would be grateful for any help

hoodlums 13:49 12 Nov 04

Have you managed to boot up into windows via the safe mode?

What was the last hing you did before this problem started.... load/remove software etc.

Dorsai 13:51 12 Nov 04

As your friend has already said, it sounds like the HDD has kicked the bucket. The only way to be sure would be to put it in another PC as a slave drive, and see. But it sounds DOA.

A SMART warning is normally pretty acurate about disk failure. (Sysytem Monitoring And Reporting Technology)

If there is nothing on the disk that is not backed up, or important, you could try a re-format and re-install. But i would not hold up your hopes.

Most HDD seem to come with a 3yr Warranty, so you might be in luck as far as a repalcement goes.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:18 12 Nov 04

Hard disk checks before you condem it
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…