Prey - laptop tracking software

Nant 10:04 AM 17 Aug 11
Answered

Has anyone got any experience of using laptop tracking software which is installed secretly on a computer and if the pc is subsequently stolen, the owner can track the whereabouts of the computer and even save a photo of the illegal user? I have just read of an open source program called Prey which enabled recovery of a Mac Book Pro stolen in the recent riots. The user was apparently traced and arrested when he went online and the pc was recovered. If true and if it is safe for the legitimate user, this sounds a brilliant program which is also free!

Anyone got any thoughts please?

Nant 15:56 PM 17 Aug 11

Although I don't believe all I read, perhaps a link to where I read this story might help explain my question

http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/news/index.cfm?newsid=3297337 it appears to work on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.

Taff™ 07:58 AM 18 Aug 11

It was reviewed by PCA back in June Prey Review I have installed it on one laptop and tested it. The results are remarkably accurate. Worth having a go yourself and making your own mind up.

It`s certainly not foolproof but has got to be better than nothing at all.

Nant 16:51 PM 18 Aug 11
Answer

Thanks Taff, your experience is just what I was looking for and also of course any problems experienced by unhappy users!

When their apparently overloaded servers catch up, I will give it a go on my Mac Book. The publicity has proved too much for them at present according to their web-site forum.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get $800 of free online Nuke and VRay rendering from Google Zync

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone