Prewiring a house for networking computers?

  lonemascot 14:13 29 Mar 08

I am about to undertake a renovation project and want to be able to provide a wired network built in to the house.

I have 7 rooms that i want to network.

Each room should have:
Dedicated phone point.
Home network connection point so that all computers can access one another.
Internet connection.

Can someone explain what cables i need to run, how many of each and any hardware that should be required.


  sunny staines 14:16 29 Mar 08

wifi would be easier and cheaper.

  pchelper001 14:26 29 Mar 08

you would need a hub...which would be attached to a router. Our hub was in the attic and then the cables came down the walls into the bedrooms.

  lonemascot 14:28 29 Mar 08

I know wi fi would be cheaper and easier but that isn't the question i asked.

I like wired networks, there aren't problems with crappy signals suddenly dropping off and I think they are more secure and faster.

  lonemascot 14:30 29 Mar 08

so i would need a router attached to the phone line. a hub attached to the router and a single CAT 5E cable run to every room?

The cable you will need is CAT5e. (3 pairs)
You run one cable from each point back to wherever you will have your router.
You can buy the plugs to go onto the ends af the cables from any electrical distributor or from the link below... You will also need a crimper to put the plugs onto the cable.. quite easy really.
The link below shows you all the instructions... If you goto products you can buy the crimper, plugs and cable from them.. also the CAT5e wall plates.

click here

  pchelper001 14:42 29 Mar 08

the hub would connect to the router and the cables would go into the hub...unless you have the router close to the point of all the cables

  DieSse 14:53 29 Mar 08

"so i would need a router attached to the phone line. a hub attached to the router"

A switch is more efficient than a hub.

Most routers have a switch built-in, with a number of outlets already available.

A wireless router is still a good idea, for ad hoc connections (friends with laptops, demos in the garden (etc etc))

You'll need separate cables for the telephone lines, along with the network cabling.

If you want to use VoIP telephones not connected through a computer, you will also need VoIP adapter or a router with such an adapter built in, and related wiring too.

If you're going to these lengths (which IMO is a "good idea" if planning from scratch) - bear in mind the possibility of

An NAS unit (Network Attached Storage).

A server - rather than just peer-to-peer connections.

A media distribution over the network.

In planning where and how many outlets to plan for.

  woodchip 14:59 29 Mar 08

Will this help
click here

  lonemascot 15:48 29 Mar 08

I'm not going to buy all the routers, switches, servers. I'll leave that for the buyer to sort out.

I'm just interested in running all the cabling while the walls and joists are open. this means that the customer won't be paying for hardware they won't use but leaves options open should they want to network at a later date.

if i was to run three cat 5e cables to each room from a central location; 1 for networking, 1 for telephone and a spare for futureproofing. would that be sufficient?

  pchelper001 15:50 29 Mar 08

yes, that would be fine

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017