Preventing unwanted programs getting installed on computer

MikeSA 14:35 03 Apr 15

Often I find several programs that had mysteriously become installed on my computer. Then when I uninstall them one by one, each one of them again become installed on my computer a few days later. The main culprits are Live PC Help, Reg Clean Free, ReImage, Registry Helper, Smiley Toolbar, Do-Search, PriceFountain etc. Is there any explanation for this and how can I prevent the unwanted programs getting installed by themselves on my computer?

I ran Malwarebytes and, to my horror, a Threat Scan identified 297 objects and placed them in quarantine. I subsequently removed them all from my computer but a week later the very same unwanted programs became installed on my computer once again. Very frustrating indeed but has anyone a lasting solution? All responses would be appreciated.

lotvic 15:08 03 Apr 15

You will have installed them with free software you have downloaded.

Always do a custom install of free software and UNtick/DeSelect the extra programs.

To get clean from them follow the uninstall guides (all free - no cost involved) on Malwaretips click here

robin_x 15:26 03 Apr 15

Unchecky is very good. Install and forget.

It's not foolproof though.

ADW Cleaner is a good backup to Malwarebytes.

It's also much quicker but does require a mandatory reboot if it finds anything.

(Normally, Right-click and Run as Admin)

Secret-Squirrel 08:48 04 Apr 15

"Unchecky is very good. Install and forget.."

Thanks for that tip Robin. I've got at least two clients that keep getting themselves in a pickle after installing free software so I'll install Unchecky the next time I see them. Thanks again.

lotvic 22:23 05 Apr 15

Thanks from me also Robin. Unchecky looks very useful to have :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…