Preventing something from being deleted

FatboySlim71 09:22 26 May 06

I am running XP Professional, The problem I have is, I have a registry cleaner program that also cleans up any invalid shortcuts. Everytime I run this program it deletes three icons from my quicklaunch toolbar, the icons are, MY COMPUTER, MY DOCUMENTS, CONTROL PANEL. Is there any way that I can prevent these icons from being deleted, I have looked in my Registry cleaner program to see if there is any way of setting it to ignore these icons, but I could find nothing.

Gongoozler 09:28 26 May 06

If the registry cleaner is deleting valid shortcuts I don't think it's a very good registry cleaner. I use Regseeker which has never caused me any problems click here. I also use Ccleaner for general computer cleanup click here

FatboySlim71 10:06 27 May 06

Is there any way of preventing a file/icon from being deleted.

Hertz Van Rentyl 10:18 27 May 06

Most cleaners show you a list of stuff and you can decide not to delete an item, but suggest you take advice of Gongoozler and use another cleaner. If you don't fancy his one then this works very nicely also:
click here

FatboySlim71 10:24 27 May 06

My cleaner does not give me any such option to select what I want/don't want to delete, I however like this program as it cleans up and does a good job of clearing up other undesirable items as well. The question I have is, IS THERE ANY WAY OF PROTECTING A FILE/ICON FROM DELETION.

Hertz Van Rentyl 10:28 27 May 06

What is this programme, perhaps someone can assist if it were disclosed.

DieSse 11:15 27 May 06

Right Click - select Properties - choose the General tab - tick Read-Only.

FatboySlim71 17:27 27 May 06

Thanks all.
I have decided to keep using the registry cleaner as I have mentioned "I like the program as it cleans up and does a good job of clearing up other undesirable items as well"

And I have decided to use DieSse advice, to protect the icons from been deleted in the future. Thanks everyone again for the help, I will now mark this as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…