Preventing someone stealing my photos.

Sapins 08:54 24 Mar 04

I am taking a series of specific photos to send to a newspapers/magazines. I am taking the same shots with a digital and a 35mm camera in case the negatives are required. The digital are at maximum resolution and I want to send some digital examples in the lowest resolution to see if they will publish them.

If I send low resolution photos could the publication still use them without my permission, can I claim copyright, and how do I protect my idea for the theme?

Sethhaniel 09:06 24 Mar 04

quite a few programs have this facility - or just use paintshop pro or similar and add text onto photo ie 'copyright & your name'-
If the people are that dishonorable that they will take your photo's -

they need naming and shaming

Jakey boy 09:20 24 Mar 04

If so, then I also take it that you use a digital editing package for your digital photos? If you use Photoshop, there is a facility to embed a watermark via "digimarc". you can get further details and register by going to:- click here

Jakey boy 09:25 24 Mar 04

Whether you are pro or amateur is immaterial. I'm amateur :-} There are also various utilities available which will allow watermarking of your pix, try looking here:- click here

Gemma 09:33 24 Mar 04

If the photos are your original work you have copyright and artistic rights. You do not have to do anything, they are yours in law.
If you feel threatened by copyright theft then ensure that your work is dated and the "theme" is explained and copyright is asserted. This is because you cannot protect something which is just in your head. The easy way to do this is to deposit a sealed, dated file, with a neighbour that contains a copy of whatever you have sent to the publisher. I offer the above without prejudice.

For further research click here

Sapins 10:23 24 Mar 04

Hi Sethhaniel, Jakey boy and Gemma, thank you for your help. A friend who works for a national news paper, who we have had some good times with, has warned me that if I submit a very good idea they might send one of their staff to "do" the feature to avoid paying me!! so I want to protect myself as much as possible before I submit my article. Your responses will be very helpful in helping me do this. Your second link Jakey boy will be better for me, I do not want to go to the expense of buying software at the moment. I intend to e-mail a "taster" to newspapers/magazines first to see if my idea really is worth pursuing, hence my question re low resolution etc:

I now have the info I need to go ahead thanks to you folks, so thank you again.

Regards,

Sapins.

Sapins 10:28 24 Mar 04

Forgot to mention I am very much an amateur so I probably don't have much chance of getting this into print but I am certainly going to try.

So when I am famous ;-) you get a mention in the credits.

Regards,

Sapins.

Sapins 10:41 24 Mar 04

I have now got the link for copyright protection.
click here

Will have a good read later on.

pj123 12:00 24 Mar 04

I am a Professional Photograper. You don't need to claim coypright, it is automatically yours. If you send photos to any newspaper/magazine/publication you are, in effect, giving them permission to publish them. They will generally let you know if they are accepting them and will pay you their going rate. The copyright remains with you. You can stipulate how they use them (for example, they can use them once only or they can use them as many times as they like (but they should pay you for each use) or you can offer to sell them the copyright for a fee. If you sell the copyright then, obviously they don't belong to you anymore and if you try to sell them again you could find yourself in court. If you keep the copyright you can sell them to as many publications that will accept them, but any offers you get may come with some restrictions, like you must not sell to anyone else for a particular period of time. This is normal because it gives them rights to publish before anyone else. Good luck and expect many rejections.

Sapins 13:21 24 Mar 04

Thank you pj123, much appreciated.

pj123 00:17 25 Mar 04

You also stand a better chance if your photo's are accompanied by a written article, like a Do It Yourself project or something explaining what the photo's are and why they were taken. Ring them first to find out what their maximum number of words are and to see if they might be interested in the project. Saves a lot of postage and rejections. Buy some of the magazines or newspapers you are thinking of submitting to and check their layout and how much space they give to independent submissions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…