preventing CD drive from spinning up...

nick_j007 17:52 15 Aug 03

I have been meaning to ask this small question for ages...how do I stop a CD from firing up when I shut the tray on my Dell laptop?

I thought it was just a csae of holding down shift or Ctrl but neither prevent it.

Probably a simple solution but it does bug me a bit.

Again, Thank you.

Nick

Jester2K II 17:54 15 Aug 03

Holding SHIFT stops Autorun running...

As for spinning up?

nick_j007 17:57 15 Aug 03

This is my point though...holding shift doesn't stop the autorun running.

'Spinning up' = cool lingo in my head for the autorun thingy.

:-)

It is persistent in its attempt to autorun and you will need to hold the shift key down for quite a time, possibly as long as 10 to 15 seconds!

Diemmess 18:05 15 Aug 03

In Win 98 - Control Panel > System > Device Manager > CDROM > Properties ......... uncheck the box which says Auto insert notification.

If you are one of those up to date people with a later OS, there's sure to be an equivalent option somewhere.

nick_j007 18:08 15 Aug 03

I shut the tray, then at about the count of 12 it begins to spin, if I let go at about 20 it does in fact not carry on from there so it seems successful Whisperer thanks.
I was hoping a brief press of shift would do it? What do you find on yours?
At the length of time I may as well let it run and then shut it down later!

Cheers,

Nick

Megatyte 18:14 15 Aug 03

I've got to ask this. Why do you insert the CD if you don't want it to run?

:-)

AH

nick_j007 18:15 15 Aug 03

Running XP home here.

If I hold shift down for about the count of 20 it seems to work ok then though....is such a long wait normal?

Nick

barrie_g 18:51 15 Aug 03

click here under xp fixes there it tells you how to STOP cd autorun in xp not sure but there may be a small download which will do it for you I used it my self and it works with no problems.

woodchip 19:17 15 Aug 03

You have to hold the shift until you see the CD light stop flashing

nick_j007 19:57 15 Aug 03

That's the answer. I need to keep it down 'till the light stops flashing. I have to crane my neck a little but I also know now that it stops flashing after ten seconds so I'll count to ten whilst I hold it down.
A small point, but it makes life a little easier for me as I'm getting on you see.
I'm 35 now. Ooooh my back.

Many thanks to you all for your input. I'll look that link up barrie_g ta.

Nick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…