Prevent internet access

Gary Wood 11:24 18 Aug 06

I have Windows XP Pro with several user accounts. Is there a way that I can disallow internet access to specific user accounts?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help,

Gary

Strawballs 16:35 18 Aug 06

I'm not sure but I think that there is something in the administrators tools. (can't look at the moment am at work on dinner break and we run Win 2000 here)

ade.h 16:57 18 Aug 06

In Local Security Policies, you'll find Security Options. That's where I'm looking right now, but I can't see anything that will obviously prevent internet access.

Strawballs 18:56 18 Aug 06

You can get 3rd party software that will servierly limit what they can access. I have McAfee Internet Suit and the privacy service part I can set ages to each user acount and when my son was 14 it was set to young teenager and it would drive him mad the things it would not let him do. I take it you have the accounts in question set to "Limited" so they can not download and install.

Gary Wood 23:57 19 Aug 06

Thanks for your replies.

The accounts are limited, but I don't want to restrict all limited users to not having internet access, just specific ones.

I'm convinced there must be a way to do it using a group policy setting but can't find an appropriate one.

brundle 10:57 20 Aug 06

found this tucked away on my hd

Description
By using this technique you can limit when your children or employees are able to use a system.

Directions
I have used this multiple times. Two examples...

My children have personal accounts on our home box and log-in to the internet from these accounts. Using this technique I can make sure that they can only log-in during certain times of the day (as in when I can supervise them.)

Several computers at my office had been getting crazy stuff installed on them at night. Some employees were staying all night surfing and absorbing bandwidth. This technique limits their use to more appropriate hours.

Here are the steps to activate limitations:

1. Click on the Start Menu
2. Click Run
3. Type CMD in the Open textbox and click OK
4. In the command window type:

net user accountname /times:M-F,8am-8pm; Sa,8am-5pm;Su,8am-1pm

Replace accountname with the name of the account you wish to limit. The time command is a bit tricky, but the above example is easy to replace with the appropriate values. Here's microsoft's further information regarding the format of the time command:

Quote:
Specifies the times that users are allowed to use the computer. Time is limited to 1-hour increments. For the day values, you can spell out or use abbreviations (that is, M,T,W,Th,F,Sa,Su). You can use 12-hour or 24-hour notation for hours. If you use 12-hour notation, use AM and PM, or A.M. and P.M. The value all means a user can always log on. A null value (blank) means a user can never log on. Separate day and time with commas, and units of day and time with semicolons (for example, M,4AM-5PM;T,1PM-3PM). Do not use spaces when designating times.

Here are the steps to turn off limitations:
1. Click on the Start Menu
2. Click Run
3. Type CMD in the Open textbox and click OK
4. In the command window type:

net user accountname /times:all

Once again, replace accountname with the name of the account you wish to change.

Gary Wood 11:45 20 Aug 06

brundle,

Many thanks for this.

However, does the command you suggest not limit access to the computer altogether?

What I'm actually trying to achieve is a setup whereby users can logon and use programs on the computer but cannot access the internet.

I'm sure there must be a way: if you look at the test drive Microsoft have made available for Office 2007, you'll see that users can open Internet Explorer but are then unable to visit any webpages - exactly what I want to happen.

Gary

brundle 11:55 20 Aug 06

yes, apparently that is so, not quite the ticket.

this click here
will allow you to block downloads via IE, which is about as much help as i can find, no good if your users get another browser

otherwise look in group policy/user config./windows settings/internet explorer maintenance/

something there might do what you require.
even setting site/page security restrictions so high for a particular account that no pages are accessible.
doesnt rule out other browsers either tho

Gary Wood 14:23 20 Aug 06

brundle,

Changing the security settings may well be a valid solution - because if the users have no access to the internet through IE, then they wouldn't be able to get another browser anyway! (Or at least, it would be much more difficult since it would require bringing it to the computer on removable media).

I'll have a look at this as an option and then post back.

Gary

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac