"to prevent damage,windows has been shut down"

spenno1 17:49 03 Mar 07

hi everyone.
a new problem needs solving!!
recently on my daughters 2 year old laptop,she complained that it was going very slow.so I checked with nortons scan,spybot,etc.then scanned
disc for errors,finally while defraging a message came up "a problem has ben detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.If this screen appears again folow these steps.....disable or uninstal any anti virus,disc defrag,or backup utilities,check your hard drive configeration,and check for any update drivers,-run chkdsk/f to check for hard drive coruption then restart."
****stop. 0x00000024 0x001902fe,0xf7ba8b6c
0xf7ba8868,.0xf83a8746
*** NTFS.SYS-ADDRESSF83A8746 BASE AT F8397000,
DATESTAMP 41107EEA
beginning dump of physical memory dump complete

This is the complete text that appeared .
On restarting the lap top the message did not reappear however the lap top is still very slow.
Plenty of memory is still available on hard drive (3/4 available)
As you know I am not a whizz ,any advice would be appreciated- or do I just take it to my local shop?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:26 03 Mar 07

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.
This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:27 03 Mar 07

Stop 0x00000024 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

The Stop 0x24 message indicates that a problem occurred within Ntfs.sys, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. A similar Stop message, 0x23, exists for the file allocation table (FAT16 or FAT32) file systems.

Possible Resolutions:

* Malfunctioning SCSI and Advanced Technology Attachment (ATA) hardware or drivers can also adversely affect the system's ability to read and write to disk, causing errors. If using SCSI hard disks, check for cabling and termination problems between the SCSI controller and the disks. Periodically check Event Viewer for error messages related to SCSI or FASTFAT in the System log or Autochk in the Application log.
* Verify that the tools you use to continually monitor your system, such as virus scanners, backup programs, or disk defragmenters are compatible with Windows XP. Some disks and adapters come packaged with diagnostic software that you can use to run hardware tests.

To test hard disk or volume integrity

Method 1:
1. In the Run dialog box, in the Open box type:

cmd
2. Start the Chkdsk tool, which detects and attempts to resolve file system structural corruption. At the command prompt type:

chkdsk drive: /f

Method 2:
1. Double-click My Computer, and then select the hard disk you want to check.
2. On the File menu, click Properties.
3. Click the Tools tab.
4. In the Error-checking box, click Check Now.
5. In Check disk options, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box. You can also select the Automatically fix file system errors check box.

If the volume you are checking is in use, a message asks whether you want to delay disk error checking until the next time you restart your computer. After you restart, disk error checking runs and the volume chosen is not available to run other tasks during this process. If you cannot restart the computer due to the error, use safe mode or Recovery Console.

If you are not using the NTFS file system, and the system partition is formatted with the file allocation table (FAT16 or FAT32) file system, long file name (LFN) information can be lost if hard disk tools are started from an MS-DOS command prompt. A command prompt appears when using a startup floppy disk or when using the command prompt startup option on multiple boot systems that use FAT16 or FAT32 partitions with Microsoft® Windows® 95 OEM Service Release 2 (OSR2), Microsoft® Windows® 98, or Microsoft® Windows® Millennium Edition (Me) installed. Do not use tools meant for other operating systems on Windows XP partitions!
* Nonpaged pool memory might be depleted, which can cause the system to stop. You can resolve this situation by adding more RAM, which increases the quantity of nonpaged pool memory available to the kernel.

Kingfisher 18:32 03 Mar 07

try system file checker click start > run> type "sfc /scannow" note space after sfc before scannow this will check your system files, you will require your original windows disk,run cleaner click here
afterwards then makw sure all cookies and temp files are removed ccleaner should do this. also run a good quality spysweeper I use this one click here||&ClickID=cekqaxqa7447fpspewzff7swsw4wvewxnkzx
good luck

spenno1 01:40 04 Mar 07

thanks guys for your replies!!
I'll give these ideas a try and report back,thankyou!!SPENNO.

spenno1 12:19 05 Mar 07

Fruit Bat,
in reply to your advice and links I thought I would explore the first option that you suggested.I went to the link sfc/scan now for more info,this looks for the folder" 1386"
This folder does not appear to be on the laptop or on the Toshiba recovery dvd rom.However, I can get it from my desktop computer installed in the windows folder.Can I copy this folder and put it in the windows folder on the laptop.
My daughter has taken the laptop for a few days so there is no need for a quick response .But I need to know if I am going in the right direction!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:37 05 Mar 07

Can I copy this folder and put it in the windows folder on the laptop.

Yes, but I am suprised it is not already there.

Is it hidden? My computer - Tools - Folder otions - view - hidden files and folders tick show hidden files and folders.

spenno1 16:39 17 Mar 07

Hi fruitbat i finally have done what you suggested e.i. chkdsk/f. !
during this prcedure loads of messages came up for example disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters detected in file 5396 of name \hibrefil.sys
loads of other messages like this.
another one!! windows replaced bad cluster in file 41101 \windows\$N56EE~7shell32.dll
have discovered that the hard drive is totally full for some reason cant understand why bescause it wasn't the other day, maybe the laptop has been dropped and damaged the disk or something.
i have cleared a few music files which has givin me 2gb's of space but the laptop is still very slow. thanks for your help!

spenno1 15:51 23 Mar 07

I am hoping that someone may be able to respond!
Spenno1

iambeavis 16:18 23 Mar 07

It's a very long shot but, if hibernate is enabled, try disabling it - Start>Control Panel>Power Options, click on the 'Hibernate' tab and untick 'Enable Hibernation'.

spenno1 21:40 23 Mar 07

Thanks iambeavis I'll give it a try and report back, somehow I don't think this is the problem!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…