press f1 on start up

bobbybluenose 20:04 PM 12 Jan 13

o/s xp pro when I boot up my pc I get press f1 to start or f2 to enter set up, can anyone tell me is f1 safe mode on xp, also how can i stop my pc from running in safe mode, i have tried going into bios and altering boot sequence to no evail

Ian in Northampton 20:08 PM 12 Jan 13

What it's almost certainly telling you is that the CMOS battery on your motherboard is dead. That means that e.g. the date and time have been set to whenever the mobo was built, and asking you to press F2 to set up is asking you to go into the BIOS to set the right date and time. You can ignore it and press F1, but that may give you problems down the line with a mismatch between what date/time your PC thinks it is (from the BIOS setting) and what date/time it really is. Replacing the CMOS battery is pretty straightforward - but if you don't fancy it, you'll just have to accept resetting the date/time in the BIOS each time you power the PC on.

bobbybluenose 20:13 PM 12 Jan 13

Thanks Ian I do not have to set the date and time on every boot up, but I will change the battery and see what happens i will post the results later thanks again bbn.

bobbybluenose 20:54 PM 12 Jan 13

well it was the battery booting up ok now, just got the ongoing problem with msconfig .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Toshiba dynaPad release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro 4 rival with Windows 10

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Google Maps for web gets a Material Design-inspired makeover

New Apple TV 2015 release date and UK price: buy from Apple in late October, in store in November