Press F1 at every start

Procrastinus 15:15 06 Aug 14
Answered

All of a sudden(after moving house!)I am now getting a message that 'Drive not found: Serial ATA, SATA-2. Strike F1 to continue, F2 to run Setup Utility' Pressing F1 starts the Dell Dimension 5100 normally. What has changed and how do I revert to normal operations?

SparkyJack 19:24 06 Aug 14

Hallways useful to mention the machine and operating system,with all queries.

What happened to the machine during the move? Saw dew

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:12 06 Aug 14

Sounds like you have jogged something loose to the SATA hard drive.

Power off unplug

open case

Check the cable connections to the HDD and at the motherboard connection and at the power cable connection from the PSU.

Could be coincidence that either a cable is starting to fail or the PSU is starting to fail just as you have moved the machine.

BillSers 07:52 07 Aug 14

You may have to go into bios and look at boot devices and either deltete it or disable it as it could be looking for a floppy drive. I know it sounds silly but some Dell bios's had this problem.

Jollyjohn 11:49 07 Aug 14

Is the time and date correct? If not you need a new cmos battery. Usually a cr2025 button cell, or similar. Replace this and enter BIOS on next boot and check all settings, save and exit.

Whilst case is open , unplug and re connect all cables just to make sure they are seated correctly.

Procrastinus 13:26 12 Aug 14
Answer

Thanks all for your efforts, BillSers and Jollyjohn especially. Problem was a 'confused' BIOS. Removed power cord, removed CMOS battery, held power switch for 10 secs and then replaced a new CMOS battery.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…