'Press any key to continue...'

Flaco 21:36 01 Mar 05

...maybe not.

I'm trying to flash my mobo BIOS so that I can upgrade my processor. I've got an MSI, so I use their 'Live Update' facility to get the precise BIOS revision identified and downloaded. I then make a diskette as per the instructions and boot-up using that. When the final warning comes up about the dangers of flashing your BIOS unless you 'really know what you are doing' (I like that bit, real confidence booster), it prompts "press any key to continue" with the flashing procedure. My PC hangs at that point (or maybe just dosn't detect any key being pressed). End of my attempts to upgrade the processor for the time being.

Same thing happened to me when I installed a new Maxtor hard drive: made a CD using their utility for Set Up and Partitioning, but the process kept hanging this side of the POST.

Any ideas why I keep running into these brick walls with the keyboard?

Diodorus Siculus 21:42 01 Mar 05

Do you have a USB keyboard? If so, that is likely the problem.

Flaco 21:49 01 Mar 05

I thought about that for a while but surely in this day and age they can't be tripping people up over that one? The keyboard certainly works if I enter the BIOS Setup area, for example.

Flaco 00:12 02 Mar 05

Apologies. I tried a PS/2 adaptor for my USB keyboard and that was indeed the problem. I guess I should have realized that when they only provide 'diskette' creation option as opposed to including ISO CD alternative.

Thanks for your help,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…