Presario SR 2125uk with Vista 32bit. RAM Upgrade Problem

onthelimit1 08:50 12 Dec 14
Answered

This is fitted with 2 x 512Mb DDR2 PC2-4200. I bought 2 x 1Gb sticks from Crucial. Put them both in and booted - two beeps indicating RAM problem. Took one stick out - booted OK. Swapped the sticks over - booted OK.

So, why will it recognise a single stick but not the 2 (Spect say up to 4Gb is OK)?

Thanks

northumbria61 13:18 12 Dec 14

Take a look in MSCONFIG - Start- Run - type msconfig - boot - advanced options - boot advanced options screen, uncheck Maximum Memory (if ticked) - click OK

northumbria61 13:21 12 Dec 14

Restart your PC after trying above

rdave13 15:59 12 Dec 14

Have you checked the BIOS is recognising the ram?

onthelimit1 21:05 12 Dec 14

I can't do anything as the beeps start before anything appears on the screen. I've asked for a new set of RAM to be sent, so will report back when that has arrived ( not overly confident as single sticks seem to work OK).

rdave13 23:56 12 Dec 14

Try one new ram stick with one of the older ones. See what the bios recognises. As a matter of fact you should be able to get to the bios as the machine boots. Find what key is needed to get to bios and tap like hell as fast as you can.

Realistically I think your mobo can't support 2gig of modern ram without flashing the BIOS and that is another kettle of fish.

onthelimit1 08:41 13 Dec 14

rdave. Thanks. The manufacturers specs say the board should support 4Gb. If i put in a 1Gb with one original 512Mb, it beeps straight after powering on. I'm nalways reluctant to flash the BIOS!

onthelimit1 11:41 13 Dec 14
Answer

Replacement RAM arrived this morning and works fine - odd!

rdave13 12:07 13 Dec 14

Thanks for the feedback and agree that it's a strange fault. Maybe something to do with matched pairing?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…