Preparation To Clean Install Win 98

wilf3102 22:27 09 Mar 04

Hi there,

After reading many posts and pages, I'm almost ready to do a clean Reinstall Windows 98SE onto my system.

It's only a PIII 450Mhz 64MB ram system, but its only used now when my parents browse the internet !!! I want to rid the remainders of several years of playing games and messin' around on it, and to solve a few niggles/errors on it.

I have a concern mainly with the install process, as i want to be prepared, to prevent errors, like many of us i have read, have experienced.

I have created a Boot Disk, and have my Win98 CD Ready and waiting!!

But, I am unsure which drivers i will need handy, in order for my system to actually survive a reinstall.

I have the typical driver cd's I have with the printer, scanner etc. But im unsure about whether i need drivers for the motherboard etc

Will i need to hunt down specific Motherboard drivers? or will it be automatically configured etc ? Can i backup this information from the system first?

The system was built buy an old friend of ours who builds computers, and i wish not to go to him again, if i need such items.

ive read a webpage recently that didnt specify about the motherboard and it seemed quite knowledgable, but some resources have mentioned it.

Hopefully, once i access the CD with my boot disk i will have a troublefree installation and a clean harddrive, ready to go !!

Is there any other problems that i may encounter, which could spoil me having a stress-free time?

Many thanks for your help with this issue

woodchip 22:38 09 Mar 04

This should be your first port of call click here

User's Manual for WinDriver Expert v1.70
(C) Copyright 2001-2002 Jacques ZHANG
E-mail: [email protected]

[Introduction]

WinDriver Expert is FREEWARE, provides you the easy and fast detection, backup and restore of the entire hardware device drivers currently on your system. With it, you can even find the latest drivers for your hardware and install them onto your computer. Just one or two mouse button clicks, you will have all your hardware devices extracted and backuped to any folder you want. Also a INF device script installer is included. When you reinstall or upgrade your system, you can restore all the drivers backuped by clicking a button, after reboot once, all the drivers will be installed and will function well. If you have a hardware that is troublesome, just Remove it with the software.

[Supported Operating System]

Windows 95
Windows 95 OSR2
Windows 98
Windows 98 Second Edition
Windows Me
Windows NT4
Windows 2000
Windows XP

[How to use]

Click 'Fast Collect' button, then select a certain device whose driver you want to backup, then click 'Make' button, then select a destination folder/path/directory, then click 'Start' button.

OR simply click 'Fast Collect' button, then click 'Make All' button, and you will have all your hardware devices extracted and backuped.

[License Agreement]

The software is provided as it is. The author, Jacques ZHANG, does not guarantee any data loss or damage in any form that may occur to your computer.

The software can be distributed freely, as long as it is not binded with other software or packaged with other things, and most important of all, it is not modified!

[Contact the author]

E-mail: [email protected]
Language: English, French or simplified Chinese.

[Homepage]

click here

[Release Date]

June 6, 2002

Other than docs and Pictures you can backup E-Mail by going to Windows Explorer C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities you Outlook Express files are kept in there.

To Format start Comp with Floppy Disc and at A:\FORMAT C: that cleans the drive

Diodorus Siculus 22:45 09 Mar 04

I would suggest that you remove the modem from the machine before installing windows. Too often it gets missed and can be difficult to reinstall with Win98 for some reason.

Also any external peripheries should be detached before going ahead.

frazky 05:02 10 Mar 04

might any 'migration' utilities expedite matters? has anyone used such for a re-install
(just a thought at 5am LOL )

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…