Premium Numbers!!

goll_y 13:34 22 Aug 04

Spoke to one of my friends yesterday who uses Tesco as an ISP (has dial up). He got a bill from BT for £130 - £100 of which was for premium rate numbers from his computer. He was not aware that it was dialing into a premium number.

What can he do as he obviously doesn't want to have to pay this?

Also what can he/I (I am also on Dial up with Wanadoo) to protect his computer. I've got Zone Alarm Pro, Adaware and AVG. Is there anything else that would be useful to protect me/him against this.

By the way all he had was using the Windows XP Firewall.

rawprawn 13:38 22 Aug 04

Tools/Internet Options/Connections/ tick Never Dial a Connection. But I think your friend will have to pay.

Easterner 13:46 22 Aug 04

BT will bar all calls to Premium rate lines for you if you ask but I think that you have to pay for the service (still be cheaper than £100+ per quarter).

I agree with rawprawn though in the action that he suggests and that your friend will probably have to pay for the calls that have already been made.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:46 22 Aug 04

Install Zone Alarm and aaaware +

Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here

all work well together to stop diallers and spyware don, forget to keep updated.

Graham ® 13:46 22 Aug 04

click here

Premium rate watchdog click here

Zak 14:43 22 Aug 04

Have look at the link where you will find further information as well as the link for free download of this freeware software:

click here

At least you and your friend will be protected for the future once you instal the antidialer.

JayDay 14:57 22 Aug 04

If it is an option switch to Broadband (dialers won't work with a BB connection). Failing that Easterner's answer is probably the best.

Premiium Watchdog has no teeth, although I understand this may change.

I think your friend will have to stump up.

spider9 15:08 22 Aug 04

rawprawn.
If I select "Always dial my default connection" will this have the same result as the "Never dial..." that you suggest? (As my default connection is an 0808.. number).
Or am I misunderstanding what this does?

Graham ® 15:23 22 Aug 04

ICSTIS no teeth? click here

JayDay 15:27 22 Aug 04

Sorry I meant getting your money back.

Graham ® 15:36 22 Aug 04

I can see cases of refunds and redress.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…