Premium Numbers!!

goll_y 13:34 22 Aug 04

Spoke to one of my friends yesterday who uses Tesco as an ISP (has dial up). He got a bill from BT for £130 - £100 of which was for premium rate numbers from his computer. He was not aware that it was dialing into a premium number.

What can he do as he obviously doesn't want to have to pay this?

Also what can he/I (I am also on Dial up with Wanadoo) to protect his computer. I've got Zone Alarm Pro, Adaware and AVG. Is there anything else that would be useful to protect me/him against this.

By the way all he had was using the Windows XP Firewall.

rawprawn 13:38 22 Aug 04

Tools/Internet Options/Connections/ tick Never Dial a Connection. But I think your friend will have to pay.

Easterner 13:46 22 Aug 04

BT will bar all calls to Premium rate lines for you if you ask but I think that you have to pay for the service (still be cheaper than £100+ per quarter).

I agree with rawprawn though in the action that he suggests and that your friend will probably have to pay for the calls that have already been made.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:46 22 Aug 04

Install Zone Alarm and aaaware +

Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here

all work well together to stop diallers and spyware don, forget to keep updated.

Graham ® 13:46 22 Aug 04

click here

Premium rate watchdog click here

Zak 14:43 22 Aug 04

Have look at the link where you will find further information as well as the link for free download of this freeware software:

click here

At least you and your friend will be protected for the future once you instal the antidialer.

JayDay 14:57 22 Aug 04

If it is an option switch to Broadband (dialers won't work with a BB connection). Failing that Easterner's answer is probably the best.

Premiium Watchdog has no teeth, although I understand this may change.

I think your friend will have to stump up.

spider9 15:08 22 Aug 04

rawprawn.
If I select "Always dial my default connection" will this have the same result as the "Never dial..." that you suggest? (As my default connection is an 0808.. number).
Or am I misunderstanding what this does?

Graham ® 15:23 22 Aug 04

ICSTIS no teeth? click here

JayDay 15:27 22 Aug 04

Sorry I meant getting your money back.

Graham ® 15:36 22 Aug 04

I can see cases of refunds and redress.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…