Preloading images

Joe Wood 14:40 27 Sep 03

I have developed a website to display some digital images that I have taken. In the side frame are some thumbnails which when clicked bring that picture into the main frame. However, in some of the galleries there are over 30 thumbnails. Therefore I used a JavaScript to preload the images and display a progress bar. This seemed to be the perfect solution. However, it works fine on most computers but I have received several complaints that it just hangs at around 80%. (Having tested it, it does this on one of my three machines but works OK on the other two even though they are all running the same operating system and browser version [IE6]!).

I thought it was an error in the JavaScript so I got rid of that and just had an animated gif playing whilst it loaded the pictures off the edge of the screen (1x1px). Then using a JavaScript to control an onLoad statement which said when the page has loaded (i.e. all the pictures are on the users computer) change the page.

Now I'm just confused because it won't load all of the images on the machines that stalled the bar - though these too still work OK on the other machines! So now the animated gif plays and the user doesn't know whether it's crashed or not. I've spoken to the hosting company (PlusNet) and they've been unable to find any problems.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Joe

PS: If you would like a link to the page please email me ([email protected]) and you can see if it works on your machine and see what I mean!

anchor 15:47 29 Sep 03

Joe, why not post the URL here so we can all see the problem?.

Joe Wood 22:25 29 Sep 03

Thanks Anchor.

click here to see the website. Some of you will probably find it works OK on your machines - but that's juat as interesting to me in trying to identify how widespread the problem is, so please post and let me know. And, if anyone can tell me what the problem is that is preventing hte page from displaying properly, I shall be forever grateful!!!

Thanks

Joe

anchor 14:25 01 Oct 03

Hi Joe:

Just tried it and found no problem. All images are displayed on the bar when scrolled down, and display normally when clicked.

Nice pictures too!.

Using IE6, (with the latest updates), and Microsoft Virtual machine for the Java, which is enabled in IE6 options.

Joe Wood 17:36 01 Oct 03

Thanks Anchor

Most people say that the preloader works OK but others still say that it hangs at around 80%. I'm working on a fix for this now and that should be finished over the next few days. It's just going to play an animated gif whilst the imags load and then change to the first gallery.

Thanks again
Best Regards

Joe

User-312386 08:22 02 Oct 03

No problems here either

Are the people that are having problems using dial up cinnections? Rather than Broadband?

Amadas 07:51 13 Oct 03

and not by choice.

I checked your site using NS 6.2. The main page loaded within 60 seconds, however, when I clicked on "new mills" I noticed the preloading bar moving, but not the percentage. After about 4 minutes, It hung at about 90%. When I clicked on the images on the left of that page, the preload bar hung at about 10%. It would move slightly when I clicked on another, however, no images loaded in the main page. The bar would start moving again, but would hang at about 10 or 15%. Again, the number remained at 0%, and only the bar moved.

I also checked it in IE 6 and it worked fine, albeit slow, but at least I was able to see the images. Again, I noticed that the bar moved, but the number on the left of it remained at 0%?

Have you optimized your images for the web? I was sure waiting a long time for them to load. I know that optimizing sacrifices resolution, but do you want speed or quality? What are your demographics? Are the majority of your viewers using broadband? If not, then you have no choice but to optimize, that or risk losing potential customers. You've got about 8 seconds to gain their attention, after that, they're gone.

The site looks very impressive. I like it. But for dial up, I'm sorry, it was taking a little too long for me.

Regards,
Amadas

powertool 20:49 14 Oct 03

I really liked your site design - very appealing.

What software did you use for the graphics?

Pesala 22:47 14 Oct 03

1. The design doesn't work that well as the scroling thumbnails take a while to load. (I am using Opera 7.21) I think the Java script is slowing the whole page down.

2. The images are beautiful but are displayed at about half their full size, which is a hug waste of download time.

At least the frame needs to be big enough to accomodate the photos at full size, whether they are portrait or landscape.

I am sure you can do better than my simple layout click here but at least it loads fast and displays the pictures at their ful size. Why not go for a more simple approach?

Pesala 22:48 14 Oct 03

I'm on NTL 150K Home Broadband

Joe Wood 17:16 16 Oct 03

The images are optimised for both quality and speed and where I know that I could compress the photos more I feel that the reduction in quality may put potential customers off. Also I know that the pictures down display a full screen sometimes. However, there is a reason. There are two versions of the site and I wrote a JavaScript that detects the users' screen resolution and displays the appropriate version. So the reason the images seem to be displayed smaller that their actual size is becuase I use the same images for both versions.

Also if you have another look at the site I've now changed the preloader, so if you would like to have a look please click here and choose Summer.

Also the reason it can take a long time for dial up users is that people visiting a digital photogrpahy website usually expect to have to wait for images to load. And I saw it a a balance between speed and quality and personally I think it's about right now.

Thanks for all your help

Joe

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…