Preinstalled XP Home

anniel 17:51 23 May 04

My PC has preinstalled XP Home.

It now appears that a file necessary for setting up a network cannot be found.

ipconfig/renew comes up with an error message:

"an error occurred whilst renewing interface local area connection. The system cannot find the file specified."

The ISP who were setting up the network system told me to contact Evesham, who supplied my PC. They now say I will have to reinstall XP home. I tried sfc and reinstalled the network drivers to see if that would assist..no joy.

Is it often the case that XP oem has a corrupt or missing file or am I just unlucky? I was hoping I could find out what was missing or corrupt and just repair the fault..but it appears not to be possible.

Evesham offered to talk me through the reformat at my expense on an 0870 number.They will not ring me as it is "against company policy" I tried to persuade them to come out to see my PC on my 3 years onsite warranty, given that my PC is only 5 months old, but the "onsite" only applies to hardware problems.

When An OS is installed can it be tested for all eventualities such as this before being sold?

To all you erudite techies out there this may seem to be a minor problem and reformatting may be a breeze, but for "click and pray" users like me it is s big deal.

Any advice would be welcome.

Diodorus Siculus 17:56 23 May 04

You will likley get away with installing the OS over itself if you want to take that route.

Or you can go into the device manager and remove the network drivers there and reboot; they should be found and reinstalled.

powerless 17:59 23 May 04

You'll find that XP is preinstalled and OEM. But the Disc is actually a FULL XP disc [mine is anyway]. The reinstall of XP is easy, however you might want to try a repair installation. click here

Is it often the case that XP oem has a corrupt or missing file or am I just unlucky? I was hoping I could find out what was missing or corrupt and just repair the fault..but it appears not to be possible. - OEM or not these things can happen.

When An OS is installed can it be tested for all eventualities such as this before being sold? - No. Anything can make a missing file - missing.

Rayuk 18:13 23 May 04

Have a look see if this helps
click here

Did you turn off the firewall before setting up,then turn it back on afterwards

anniel 21:26 23 May 04

I never fail to be impressed with the advice I get on PC Advisor.

The solution was found in:
Run
services.msc

The DHCP client service was not running. Once I right clicked and started it and checked in regedit that the data values were correct, I rebooted and I was able to connect to the net.

I have to confess that the solution was provided by Putasolutions from Webuser, one of my favourite forums after this one.

So I will not have to reinstall after all.

It is interesting to note that people like you experts on PC Advisor and those on Webuser seem to be able to solve PC problems more efficiently than the firms who employ technicians.

You all deserve a big thanks and a raise in salary.

Gratefully yours!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…