Prefetch blues

elliott 00:34 19 Mar 03

i deleted my prefetch folder in xp as i do from time to time, but this time it doesn't seem to have filled up, (i've given it a week) and i can notice the difference on my boot times, REALLY slow now.
any ideas?

AndySD 00:41 19 Mar 03

click here Jester2K's little utility may help. Windows XP Prefetch Clean And Control

temp003 00:59 19 Mar 03

Just a couple of thoughts, although these are unlikely the cause of the recent difference, unless you've tweaked your settings recently.

Prefetch requires Task Scheduler to run. Make sure Task Scheduler is set to Automatic or at least Manual in Services (Start, Run, type services.msc)

Check that Prefetch has not been disabled for some reason. Start, Run, type regedit and press Enter.

Navigate to HKEY Local Machine\System \Current Control Set\Control \Session Manager\ Memory Management \PrefetchParameters

On the right, look for the name EnablePrefetcher. In the Data column, the value should be 1, 2 or 3. If the value is 0, the prefetch function has been disabled.

1=enable Application Launch Prefetch
2=enable Boot Prefetch
3=enable All Prefetch
0=disable Prefetch

elliott 16:25 21 Mar 03

sorry guys no luck, regedit/services were both ok,
will try utility but doesn't really address my initial problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…