Precise Thread Titling

Goldcroft 08:44 14 Jan 03
  Goldcroft 08:44 14 Jan 03

I know the Forum Editor has closed the thread on searching, but can I repeat the plea I posted a while ago. Can members please use titles which accurately reflect the area they want help in. I take it that this would help with the search facility.

Threads titled "Help" or "I'm in Trouble" or "Urgent Assistance Needed" or those with no direct computer references at all should not be accepted. I know these clever "mystery" titles are used by some to get attention, but I suspect that they don't help forum contributors eager to assist or those attempting to broaden their knowledge.

€dstow 08:50 14 Jan 03

You'll have a better chance of knitting fog than getting this followed! (Unfortunately).

€d

Mac & Beth 09:02 14 Jan 03

Bit like the threads asking for people to use the Search feature before asking why ScanDisk / Defrag won't finish or if jmgbmr.exe is a virus......

powerless 09:09 14 Jan 03

It does not bother me.

"arrgggghhhh Help" or "Windows Internet Explorer error"

I'll help (if i can) either way.

watchful 10:34 14 Jan 03

I, and many others, pointed this out in the thread a couple of days ago.

It doesn't bother me too much but it hampers the search facility.

watchful

Old PC man 10:56 14 Jan 03

Titles like this do, indeed, make it more difficult for us to pinpoint the area of expertise required, but we have to understand that a lot of users are just that, USERS, and may not be aware of the precise problem that they need help with.

Education is the only answer, and a set of guidelines published on the "Start new subject" page displayed more prominently than the "ensure your title etc." may go some way to minimising the problem.

Goldcroft 17:16 14 Jan 03

Realism ... cynicism ... don't give a damnism. Got it all here. All I know is that I don't want to open threads in which I have no interest. And it must hinder any search facility. I'm certainly more cynical than Old PC Man. I'm not very skilled PC wise but I am sure most can indicate general nature of problem. I don't even mind "switched on, but screen blank".

One cynic who replied to an earlier thread on this subject which was inspired by one guy trying to put a case for one shopping chain's low prices, quite rightly said the misleading title was pure marketing and I fell for it by opening the message.

In any case, the subject rates in importance with a flea on the backside of an elephant and I'll close down now with thanks, as usual, to all who participated.

Goldcroft 17:16 14 Jan 03

Realism ... cynicism ... don't give a damnism. Got it all here. All I know is that I don't want to open threads in which I have no interest. And it must hinder any search facility. I'm certainly more cynical than Old PC Man. I'm not very skilled PC wise but I am sure most can indicate general nature of problem. I don't even mind "switched on, but screen blank".

One cynic who replied to an earlier thread on this subject which was inspired by one guy trying to put a case for one shopping chain's low prices, quite rightly said the misleading title was pure marketing and I fell for it by opening the message.

In any case, the subject rates in importance with a flea on the backside of an elephant and I'll close down now with thanks, as usual, to all who participated.

Alan2 17:41 14 Jan 03

I totally agree with your plea.

Although my level of expertise means I can only occasionally render assistance or advice to others I do, however, learn a lot from browsing the forum but I have now given up opening any threads with poor titles.

Alan.

wawadave 18:07 14 Jan 03

how to knitt vertual FOG

peral 1-hmtl 2 peral 1-hmtl 2 peral 1-hmtl 2
lol have a grate day.
i could not resist this after i saw comment on fog knitting!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…