Pre-reformat question

darkster 10:04 26 Dec 05

Hi,
I want to clean up and re-format my laptop but first I want to backup/archive all of my outlook express mail messages (without having to manually open all of them and save individually). I seem to remember reading how to do this in a magazine (PCAdvisor?) a while ago, but I can't, for the life of me, remember how to do it! Also, can I back up my Firefox browser settings - bookmarks, user names passwords etc?
Thanks in advance.

Mikè 10:13 26 Dec 05

In explorer create a new folder then drag and drop the OE folders to it.
Don't know about Firefox.

wobblymike 10:36 26 Dec 05

Outlook express is a bit finnickity when it comes to recovering backed up files - I do it regulkarly asfollows:
Open up your C drive in explorer
Open up documentd and settings
Open up your user name folder
Open up Local settings (you might have to go up to view and set hidden folders to be viewed)
Open up Application data and the Identities
In identities you should find a folder with a string of numbers and letters.
Save the whole folder to a cd
When you have finished your reformat and reinstalled the OS put the CD you created into the drive
Open explorer and copy the fle from the CD to a location on your hard drive.
Open Outlook Express
Go to File - Import - Messages - Outlook Express 6 and click next
Select Import mail from an OE6 store directory click ok
Click Browse and then Browse to the location where you copied the file from the CD Open up your saved file all the way down to Outlook Express then click OK
Click Next then next again all your saved messages together with their folders should be imported into OE.

ashdav 10:47 26 Dec 05

In Firefox make a copy of the profiles folder click here
to save all your settings.
Export your bookmarks and save them to disk/floppy
left click on Bookmarks at the top of the screen then select Manage bookmarks/export

woodchip 10:47 26 Dec 05

One of the post importent things for a\Laptop, Have you got all the Hardware Drivers if not should make sure you get them before reformat

ashdav 10:48 26 Dec 05

Sorry missed a step...Manage bookmarks/File/Export

darkster 10:50 26 Dec 05

Thanks a lot for the quick replies, much appreciated!
I have all of the hardware drivers, so no probs. there. Thanks again.

jimv7 10:51 26 Dec 05

Create a folder on the desktop, call it fred, email anything you want.

Open outlook express, navigate to tools\Options\Maintenance\Store Folder\change, browse to the newly created folder on the desktop and say ok. all settings will change after restarting outlook express.

Now its easy to save your email folder from the desktop.

Also export email settings and address book to the same folder.

octal 10:52 26 Dec 05

If you want to backup you Firefox settings, which includes all your bookmarks, they are located in your profile folder, this tells you about backup click here and this tells you where the profile folder is located in various operating systems click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5