Pre-loading Maps into an Android GPS Device, is it possible?

AlexHomenko 00:15 16 May 14

Hello,

My dad recently got himself a GPS device from Android. I'll attach a link below for the device he got.

Mt dad is a truck driver who travels between Canada and the United States and so he needs it for work. However, the GPS doesn't seem to work without Wi-Fi or any other internet connection. I tried pre-caching map areas in Google maps for him but it still didn't work (it wouldn't search for any addresses withing the cached areas, nevermind give directions.

My question is, can I do something to make it work offline? Maybe I can preload maps somehow? Or download an app that would work with the navigation\direction functions of the GPS? He really needs it for work and I'm so out of my depth with this. The trusty Internet seems to be drawing a blank also.

I hope to hear from some of you ASAP! THANKS!

rdave13 00:32 16 May 14

To be honest you need a dedicated GPS device.

rdave13 00:40 16 May 14

To add, you can get them specifically for the types of vehicle driven.

AlexHomenko 04:37 16 May 14

I'm not sure what you mean by "dedicated".

He got it without my knowing, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten that one (there's a Nuvi GPS that I was looking at) but I'm just wondering if maybe I'm working it wrong. Maybe there is some way to make it work for him with no online connection...

I forgot to post the link so here it is: click here

wiz-king 15:01 16 May 14

We need to know what he has got-- make/model

AlexHomenko 17:19 16 May 14

I attached a link in my second post, where it says "click here".

rdave13 17:58 16 May 14

Apparently it has GPS, according to the link, have you sussed how to switch it on?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:17 17 May 14

Apps - setup - location services - switch on GPS

enter link description here

rdave13 16:20 17 May 14

Fruit Bat /\0/\ , wrong link.

wiz-king 18:48 17 May 14

Your link to to the European version. He will need the USA version maps, I don't know where he could download them from, try the manufacturers.

rdave13 00:09 19 May 14

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac