Pre-loaded Norton AV

Diemmess 16:41 18 Sep 05

My distant and elderly friend again..... the one with a PC World pile of boxes and little idea.

Glad to say he is beginning to get some value out of it. Installing his printer and even Internet access is now successful.

He is using AVG but is constantly nagged by the Norton AV package which was bundled with the computer and asks him to install on his XP machine.

How should he go about deleteing this?
I am neither near at hand, nor familiar with the wiles of PCW and hidden partitions, or the workings of XP.

Does he merely search for a Norton Folder and delete it? It has never been installed so presumably has no reference in Add/Remove Programs

Taff36 16:45 18 Sep 05

Three month trials from Norton are all the rage at the moment. There is probably a way to remove the message from start up but I would simply install it and promptly uninstall it from Add/Remove. Don`t even bother to register it. The last one I removed this way went fine and then I installed Avast! (No need even to even use their removal tools either)

brambles 17:14 18 Sep 05

My daughter had this problem. I think there is no doubt that Norton is installed and the prompts are for your friend to sign up & pay.

It would have been better to remove Norton prior to installing AVG as I did. When you go into add/remove you will find there are several Norton elements to be removed. It removes quite easily though.

Brambles

Diemmess 18:08 18 Sep 05

My paranoia shows, particularly when I am trying to help someone else and at a distance. I get the feeling the computer is out to get me somehow!

So I have recommended that he uninstalls AVG first. Reboots, searches for NortonAV as an installed program and uninstalls that.

If he can't find confirmation that Norton is installed, he is to search and delete any folders and files of that disposition.

After another reboot he can put AVG back again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now