Pre-installed XP home query

spider9 11:17 02 Aug 04

My old computer was damaged by a surge, modem burnt out, and my insurance provided me with a new Acer - with pre-installed XP home.
There are 3 disks, called Recovery CD1 &2 and a Resource CD.
My question is, will these disks be all that I would need in the event of a complete 'crash' to get going again? And what is the advantage of having a seperate XP disk ( at more cost) instead of pre-installed?
Sorry if this is very basic, but that's what I am, a novice! Please try and give me jargon-free help, for this very reason. Thanks in advance.

buscrew 11:24 02 Aug 04

The CD's provided are all that you require. Normally recovery disks supplied with a PC will restore the machine to the factory state, ie as it was when you purchased it.

woodt 11:29 02 Aug 04

As bus crew said the CD's you have been given will restore your PC but only back to the factory settings i.e. you will loose any personal files you have not backed up. The advantage of a separate XP CD is that it is possible to reinstall Windows without wiping out your personal files.

ianhad 11:30 02 Aug 04

I have the same system and had to use the rescue discs, yes they will set machine back to as new, wipeing out any bew programs added plus all data. I am after a seperate disc.

Djohn 11:31 02 Aug 04

The CD's will restore you PC with all it's installed programs to the same condition as when first bought. The advantage of a separate XP CD? not a lot really, unless you wish to change installed hardware such as sound/graphic cards and modem.

All the files from a separate XP CD will be on a hidden partition of your hard drive anyway and can be copied to a CD if you wish but not really necessary.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…