Pre-installed OS

TommyRed 16:46 17 Apr 04

My XP home was pre-installed and all I have got is a 'restore' cd. How do I check if anything is hidden on the PC? TR

hugh-265156 16:49 17 Apr 04

what do you mean hidden?

the operating system back up is kept on a partition on the hard drive,not visable from within windows if thats what you mean.

TommyRed 17:36 17 Apr 04

Yes, thats what I mean, the only info with the PC only refers to the 'restore' CD but I've read about the OS being hidden, as you say on a partition. How do I access it if I need to? TR

hugh-265156 17:40 17 Apr 04

just boot from your floppy or restore cd usually.

do not fdisk your hard drive.

what computer make and model do you have? may be able to find some info on proper procedure to restore to factory settings etc for you.

TommyRed 17:48 17 Apr 04

What I was wondering was, if I have a problem whereby you just pop the XP disc in to repair etc I can't do that without losing all my doc's, software etc as I can only restore to factory settings. Is there a way to just replace damaged or missing files without 'restoring'. I don't know if I've explained that very well. TR

hugh-265156 18:09 17 Apr 04

well you can sometimes fix damaged or missing system files by running the system file checker:

start/run and type sfc /scannow(normally you would need to insert your windows cdrom if anything is amiss and needs to be repaired or replaced but as yours is pre installed you wont be prompted for it as any files it needs will be taken from the i386 folder)

unfortunatly sfc can only fix so much and you are correct in saying that a repair install using a restore to factory setting disc is not posiable you will lose all your data in the process.

i use acronis true image and after a clean install of xp i updated it and installed a few essential programs,shockwave,flash,spybot,avg and so on.

i also keep a multisession disc of xp updates on the go so if ever i need to reinstall i can be fully up and running again with xp all up to date in 20 mins.

and never lose any data.

hugh-265156 18:12 17 Apr 04

ps.

do you keep your PCA cover discs?

there was a full copy of acronis true image on the cover disc a few mths back.

TommyRed 18:28 17 Apr 04

I have a paid for version True Image 6.0 and have taken a shot of the PC not long after I got it and with a few basic programs on. I just wondered how I'd do a repair without any major changes. I am interested in putting the windows updates on CD-R, that could save a lot of time, even on BB. How do I put them on CD-R, I know they are in add/remove programs but that is about it. BTW I have Nero 6 for burning. TR

hugh-265156 18:38 17 Apr 04

all you need to do is restore the true image back up you have created and it will be exactly as it was then.

if you keep a back up of your email address book,favorites and important docs on a disc then all you will need to do is keep these up to date regularly and when you install the image just import them.

to copy windows updates to disc,Powerless made a good guide(cannot find it at the moment)but you need to re download them to a folder on your hard drive then just burn to a cd.

click here click windows update catalogue then "find updates for ms windows operating systems" and select xp home or pro and click search.

select the updates you want "critical and service pks" and click add on each one you want.

when finished go to the download basket and browse to a folder on C: (not your desktop or my docs as the path is too long) and download them.

when downloaded burn to multisession disc using nero etc.

just add any new updates to the disc as they become available untill its full up and then you will always have them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…