geedad 22:21 10 Aug 05

What's this ?
pre-fetch.
geedad

stalion 22:24 10 Aug 05
  VoG II 22:25 10 Aug 05
  DieSse 22:25 10 Aug 05

A little context goes a long way.

General definition - Data is pre-fetched in anticipation of what the computer thinks you/the program may need next - without waiting until you/the program asks for it. Then it's available to you/the program faster.

Stuartli 22:32 10 Aug 05

It's the method used by XP Pro Windows XP to monitor files that used at startup and when applications are started.

Whilst monitoring these files, Windows XP Pro can prefetch data expected to be requested. and read ahead into the cache.

Prefetching boot files and applications decreases the time needed to start Windows XP Pro and open applications.

I used a small file which optimises the prefetch sequence; it can be downloaded from:

click here

or a similar one from:

click here

DieSse 22:47 10 Aug 05

Pre-fetching is a technique used throughout computers - inside the processor - inside hard drives - literally everywhere.

geedad 23:05 10 Aug 05

Stuartli
Thanks, but which one of th "MY Files" do you suggest?
geedad

dave_and_confused 07:48 11 Aug 05

"Prefetching boot files and applications decreases the time needed to start Windows XP Pro and open applications."

The only reason the PC speeds up is because the PC isn't sorting the Prefetch data. However with no Prefetch data the PC won't be as optimised as if you leave it alone.

Geedad - i can't see the program listed on the first link but the second one takes you striaght to it.

dave_and_confused 08:00 11 Aug 05

"The only reason the PC speeds up is because the PC isn't sorting the Prefetch data. However with no Prefetch data the PC won't be as optimised as if you leave it alone. "

Oooppss - not enough coffee yet...

The only reason the PC BOOT UP TIME speeds up is because the PC isn't sorting the Prefetch data.

However with no Prefetch data the PC won't be as optimised DURING DAY TO DAY USEAGE as if you leave it alone.

Stuartli 09:39 11 Aug 05

I use the first one and it's configured to defragment at every boot - it does appear to speed things up but, of course, it may be an illusion...:-)

Website is at:

click here

and you can also (obviously) download it from the same website as well as find a description of what it does:

click here

dave_and_confused 09:49 11 Aug 05

PageDefrag has nothing to do with Prefetch!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…