Praise for BT re Search-Space.com

Whaty 13:42 28 Jun 04

On Friday last week I reported on this forum that my brothers computer had been hit by Search-Space.com and as a consequence he had received an excessive phone bill.

VoG kindly provided a link to a site that provided a fix for this hijacker and I was able to clear the offending item from my brothers machine over the weekend. It wasn't quite straight forward but we got there...

After receiving his telephone bill my brother rang BT and explained what had happend. He was put through to their fraud department and spoke to a very helpfull and knowledgeable chap. They could clearly see that his phone usage for the past couple of months was not normal and therefore they recalculated his bill down to £62 from £330..!

BT have not promised that my brother will not receive another bill, simply that it is under investigation, but at least they have acted positively in reducing the bill whilst looking into the situation and they are taking the matter seriously.

However, one thing I thought was lacking on BT's part. If my Credit Card usage changes my bank are very quick to contact me to ensure nothing is untoward, surely BT could have a similar system and thereby help to avoid these situations occuring in the first place.?

Kase 17:38 28 Jun 04

The Times Newspaper Money Saturday June 26 2004 page 7 "Regulator 'ready to ban' premium-rate sites may be of interest to you for the future and the proposed actions of a Mr Barry Borman a solicitor from North London who is ready to sue the company. Mr Borman can be reached at his firm Bude Storz on 020-8800-2800. A further article is on page 12 by Anne Ashworth Personal Finance Editor worth a read and may in time help you to get your money back.

Kase

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…