Is this a practical PC package

ardvarc 10:27 02 Jan 05

A relative is bringing me a PC package to put together. Old case and optical drives. The new parts are MSI K7N2 Delta -L MoBo, XP3000 CPU FSB400, 2 x 512Mgb PC3200 RAM, main drive Maxtor 133 ATA 80Gig 8Mgb cache, slave Maxtor 133 80Gig 2Mgb cache. No backup so it will be a clean install of his XP Home and apps. Is this practical and also is the Micro$oft patch on the FEB 2004 Free security disk or will I have to download it before putting on AVG then SP2. He did not seek any advice before buying from local PC shop. I can get his old 20Gig drive with OS and some personal stuff but he removed most apps.

TIA as my brain cell is not what it was

JIM 10:55 02 Jan 05

"clean install of his XP Home and apps" If all goes well with the hardware and your clean install of XP with out "connection" to the internet.

I would prepare all security patches for explorer and antivirus plus the likes of Ad-Aware,spybot s&d and spywareblaster,stinger etc.etc with downloads to a cd-r/rw for installation before hand.Then go for the Windows updates which would be WinXP sp2.You want to run the basic xp home with security for a while to make sure the basics are running well.

Avoid the stuff it all in at the same time if poss,build it up.

Have not had time to check over your hardware items to see if the are compatible,but they appear standard and iam sure youve checked the case and motherboard for compatibility.Also the PSU it will have.

ardvarc 11:12 02 Jan 05

Many thanks for reply. I do have Ad-Aware etc on CD and also on a 250Mgb USB Iomega Zip drive which as you know XP has the basic driver. Case and 450WATT PSU is more than adequate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…