A PPS file extension cannot be seen

gudda96 14:02 12 Dec 03

Hi There

Can anyone tell me how to change the file extension on an animation from .pps
To .gif or .jpeg.

I have tried opening in Irfanview but no good.

I can open it but my friend cannot when I send it.

AndyJ 14:12 12 Dec 03

If you have Powerpoint 97, 2000 or 2002 click here

GrahamP 14:16 12 Dec 03

Open in Explorer (Start,Programs,Accessories,Windows Explorer)
Navigate to your file.
Tools/Folder Options/View
Untick Hide Extensions for Known File Types
click OK

Select the folder your file is in, in the left panel.
Select your file in the right panel (click once till it is highlighted)
Click it again and a box will appear round the file name with an edit cursor inside and the name highlighted.
Click once again so that it is no longer highlighted.
Use the backspace key to delete the file extension, then retype it as what you want to change it to.
Click elsewhere to finish.

GrahamP 14:22 12 Dec 03

Having posted the above, I realise changing the file extension is not what you really want. It will probabaly make the file unreadable since it will be a pps file masqerading as a jpeg.

I also realise I know nothing about Powerpoint so I'll leave it to the experts.

Sorry for any confusion.

Jester2K II 14:35 12 Dec 03

A pps file is a Powerpoint presentation.

Changing it to a gif or jpeg extension will not change it to a gif or jpeg file (or make it read able as such to any software) any more than slappign a Ferrari badge on my car will make it go faster and look good....

Try installing Powerpoint Viewer to view this type of file. click here

Taff36 14:43 12 Dec 03

Depending on which version of Powerpoint you are using, and if you loaded the option from your installation discs (Office 97 onwards I think), go to FILE>SAVE AS> and in the bottom file type drop down box you will find the option to save it as a Powerpoint Presentation .pps

wildrover 14:58 12 Dec 03

"I have tried opening in Irfanview but no good.

I can open it but my friend cannot when I send it"

Are you saying that you can open it with your version of powerpoint? If so you should be able to 'save as' gif or jpeg - see Taff36 above. If not, what are you opening with?

gudda96 15:02 12 Dec 03

Hi Guys

First of all
Andy J....I dont need to download PP, I already have it, and I can open this file doing right click with finger on shift /open with. It is the person I am sending it to who cannot open it

Graham...
As you say, its no use doing rename and changing ext as it does not REALLY change it.

Jester

Same comments really, I thought I would be able to open it and then save as hoping I would have the option of doing so, it is a good funny so I do want a solution if poss

BTW...this is the best forum for quick responses

Thanks all of you, if anyone tells me how to send/attach, I will and you might be able to do something with it.

Jester2K II 15:02 12 Dec 03

The file can't be opened in Irfanview as it doesn't support PPS files.

gudda96 can open it but the friend can't (probably because they don't have Powerpoint)

Its an animation. It can't be saved as a JPEG (doesn't support animations) or a GIF (although there IS such a thing as an Animated GIF this won't help here)

The friend needs the Powerpoint viewer as above...

Jester2K II 15:03 12 Dec 03

Your friend needs the Powerpoint Viewer to open it. click here

gudda96 15:05 12 Dec 03

Jester

You are bang on with your conclusions, he probably does not have PPS.

I am sure I have had this joke before with different ext, pity I cant open it and save as something else.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…