PPPoEWin miniport error in Device Manager

CurlyWhirly 08:25 19 Jun 05

I have had an error in Device Manager ever since I downloaded a new AOL connectivity service which altered my broadband connection from whatever it was before to a LAN connection.

I have *NO* connection problems but was just wondering as "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware" (as shown in my screenshot) whether I should just disable it completely or does it not matter?

click here

CurlyWhirly 08:35 19 Jun 05

p.s. I have gone to live help! for assistance but they always tell me the same old methods that don't work!

Also if I click on the 'Troubleshooting' tab I am take to XP's Help & support page where I am then advised:

"To resolve the problem that is causing Device Manager to show an error code for your device, try uninstalling and then reinstalling the device."

The trouble is I don't know *where* to look for the relevant drivers!

alltime 09:45 19 Jun 05

Go to Start, Control panel. Network connections,
Right click on 1394 connection, Is this disabled or enabled. If enabled disable it.
Hope this helps, good luck

CurlyWhirly 09:57 19 Jun 05

Thanks for replying.
As my screenshot shows I don't have a 1394 connection in Network Connections only the 2 entries shown, namely, Globespan USB ADSL LAN modem and the PPPoEWin miniport (with the yellow exclamation mark).
I think it is another name for firewire in which case I think I have disabled it in the BIOS as I have no use for that particular type of connection as I use USB 2 most of the time!

I will check later in the BIOS when I next boot up the PC.
If I *do* have it disabled in the BIOS, should I enable it again?

By the way the strange thing is that even though I have a fault on the PPPoEWin miniport entry in Device Manager, when I click on 'Network Connections' then I see a entry there telling me that the WAN Miniport (L2TP) *is* connected under the 'Virtual Network Connection' section!
Strange to say the least!

alltime 10:04 19 Jun 05

Disable the Wan Miniport (L2TP) this should solve the problem.

CurlyWhirly 10:10 19 Jun 05

Thanks. I will disable it in Device Manager as it probably isn't that important to my internet settings!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…