PPPoE address ?

paddyjack 11:44 20 Nov 05

My sons again got him the drivers for his Mac and now he can connect well kind off. When he comes to set up his Internet he is asked for his 'PPPoE Address'. He has been on to his ISP Tiscali who were no help 'we do not support MAC, get on to Apple' end of conversation.

He thinks that it might be easier to use a router less hassel (this is based on the fact my son often brings his MAC here plugs into the router no questions asked).

the question is what is 'PPPoE Address', where do you get it from, and how do you input it.

ACOLYTE 11:51 20 Nov 05

PPPoE is "Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet" DSL is not always on like cable, you have to use a "fake" dial up software and give the server you are logging into a username and password. The user name and password are supplied by the ISP.

The Router should have PPPoE setting that allows you input the user name and password once into the router and the router will perform the fake dial up function and supply the user name and password to the ISP.

I dont know what this means lol but its all i could find,you may need to goto the modem/router makers site to find out how to configre it.

paddyjack 11:54 20 Nov 05

Thanks ACOLYTE what he is using at the moment is a Sagem USB modem. Will have a look on there site

mgmcc 13:27 20 Nov 05

ADSL in the UK doesn't use PPPoE, it uses PPPoA (PPP over Asynchronous Transfer Mode), so it is almost certain that ISP software would have to be installed in the Mac to be able to negotiate the connection over PPPoA protocol.

The alternative, as you have realised, is to use a combined "Router/ADSL Modem" as this does support PPPoA and the Mac can then get its internet access over an ethernet link to the router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…