andydgra 19:07 PM 30 Mar 12

my broadband connection is terrible. I contacted talk talk who said it must be my router. because talk talk wanted £50 for a router I bought a Belkin Surf N150 router then realised I also needed a modem to go with it, I bought a TP-Link TD-8616. It wouldn't work, it wouldn't open the web management page, so I contacted TP-Link tech support who told me that talk talk is PPPoA and therefore that modem won't work. Which modem should I buy because no one in the shop had heard of a problem like this before? Please don't say the talk talk one because the TP ones are £10ish and the talk talk one is overpriced at 50.

mgmcc 19:30 PM 30 Mar 12

For ADSL you really are better to get a combined Router & ADSL Modem. Trying to connect a "Cable/DSL Router" which only supports PPPoE, and not PPPoA, is fraught with problems. However, you won't get this for £10, it will be around the £50 mark.

jja244 15:45 PM 31 Mar 12

I connect to Talktalk using a TP Link TD-W8961ND Wireless N ADSL2+ modem router. I've had it for over a year without any problems. It cost me about £30 from Amazon if my memory serves me correctly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Toshiba dynaPad release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro 4 rival with Windows 10

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Google Maps for web gets a Material Design-inspired makeover

New Apple TV 2015 release date and UK price: buy from Apple in late October, in store in November