A pox on winxp prof and updates-now I cant log in

belcanto 00:09 25 May 05

Hi there-am having the same problems as before, I've tried the Reboot in safe mode, click on start, run, type "control userpasswords2" click ok. A control panel window opens, this is the default user and password window. Uncheck the box titled "users must enter a password to this computer. click apply, a second box will open. Enter the user name you want to use and the a new password.No joy.
Have also tried the press F8 during rebooting your machine until it comes up with some options (Safe Mode ect. ect.) and choose the following: start windows with the last known good configuration. Still no joy.

Can anyone tell me what else that I can do-I can not get past the win xp log in window. Ironically it all started because i tried to be security concious and download an update from microsoft. NEVER AGAIN. Crossbow7, any ideas?

belcanto

Cuddles 17:16 25 May 05

you need to delete your pwl settings then log in as a new user

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:55 25 May 05

Boot in safe mode log in as the administrator (which you haven't set a password for)

Then you can change the password in the user accounts.

belcanto 20:41 25 May 05

Cuddles can you tell me how do i delete my pwl, also to fruit bat. I told you, that even though I can boot into safe mode, I cant get past the log in screen. Any more ideas would be welcome.

belcanto

Technotiger 20:45 25 May 05

Hi, perhaps you could go through the F8 routine again, but then instead of using Last known good configeration, opt to start in Safe Mode?

Cheers.

stalion 20:48 25 May 05

try this courtesy of VOG
Restart and keep tapping F8 to bring up the Boot Menu. Select Command Prompt. At the > prompt type
C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and press the Enter key to launch System Restore.

lotvic 00:50 26 May 05

Try click here
""Use the built-in Administrator account. For XP Professional, press CTRL + ALT + DEL twice at the Welcome Screen and input your Administrator password in the classic logon window that appears.""
(type in 'Administrator' as the password)

Or this: click here

belcanto 15:02 28 May 05

Thanks alot everyone for your help-have printed off the solution so i at least now know what to do if it happens again.

belcanto

lotvic 11:47 29 May 05

Please, tell us which solution worked!

Share your knowledge :))

belcanto 18:35 31 May 05

Hi-I went to click here as yuo suggested and then followed the instructions.

Many thanks as I said for the help-belcanto

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…