PowerQuest Drive Image 7.0

Sapins 10:49 16 Feb 04

I have just bought the above software having seen it recommended a few times in this forum. Before I use it is there anything I should do first like deleting temporary files etc:? and when is the best time to run it?

Regards,

Sapins.

Edstow 11:32 16 Feb 04

Friday afternoon is the time we run DI7 - just before the weekend break. It doesn't really matter when you do it - just choose a quiet time. It doesn't take long to do so you don't waste much valuable computer time and remember, your backup could be a lifesaver.

Before running we remove all useless files and trash, including .tmp files, internet rubbish etc. and empty the recycle bin. There is no necessity to do this but there isn't much point in saving or backing up rubbish.

Remember you ought to do a daily backup of files and settings in addition to a weekly full system backup. Also, back up before you make any big changes to your system - hardware or software.

Ed

Sapins 11:41 16 Feb 04

Hi Edstow, thanks for your reply.

One thing puzzles me, can I only back up a full drive with DI7, is it possible to just back up selected files, and will doing the same back up later on just update anything that has changed?

Sapins.

hoverman 11:43 16 Feb 04

I agree with Edstow and would also recommend you defrag your hard drive before doing a backup. Also, if you have a defrag program like Diskeeper, then disable any automatic schedules - it could cause problems if it started during the backup process. I also disable any screensaver.

Sapins 11:48 16 Feb 04

Cheers hoverman, your help is appreciated.

leo49 12:23 16 Feb 04

If your PC is properly organised with partitions so that all Data,swap and Temp files have their own partitions, then the only partitions you have to back up with DI are those containing operating systems/programs - all data is backed up by dragging/dropping to other HDDs both internal and external and/or burnt to CD/DVD.This keeps the image size a lot smaller, avoids constant duplication and cuts down on imaging/restore time.

DI is then what M$'s System Restore isn't - foolproof insurance against OS/program difficulties.

Personally I have partitions for images on a couple of HDDs on which I store OS images taken after installing Windows and updates and then at various stages of adding my normal program roster. These I always retain. I then take an image before installing a new program so that should I change my mind about it I can easily revert - these may only be kept temporarily if the new program is not up to snuff.

Sapins 13:29 16 Feb 04

I have a dual boot system with 98SE on "C" and XP Home on "D" plus a second hard drive "E".

I basically want to back up XP and my documents and photos on "D". I was thinking of backing up "D" drive which is 15gb onto "E" which is 80gb. I would like to know which folders contain the OS so I can back those up first, any help appreciated.

Edstow 13:47 16 Feb 04

The DI7 wizard will help you through all these things of backing up which to where. It may look a bit daunting to begin with but have a look at it (after reading the manual/tutorial) and you will find the whole thing quite easy.

What we do is back up the whole drive containing O/S and all programs/information on to a second drive - more or less what you are wanting to do. I wouldn't try to separate the O/S from other items, just do the lot - you have plenty of room on your 80GB disk.

Ed

Sapins 09:39 17 Feb 04

Thank you, Edstow, hoverman and leo49 for your help it is much appreciated. I will have a go this weekend and backup the whole drive. Thanks again,

Regards,

Sapins.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…