PowerQuest Drive Image 7

Ebonytiger 16:13 17 Aug 04

Having just suffered a major PC catastrophe and lost all my data etc I thought I'd buy an external drive and a copy of Drive Image. I have installed the program as per instructions but am unable to even open it as I'm getting a 'Fatal Execution Engine Error' and then a message about debugging and can't go any further. If I try to uninstall everything Microsoft. NET Framework refuses to uninstall and if I uninstall Drive Image I lose my DVD ROM drive and CD RW Drive so have to use System Restore to get them back. Does anyone know what's going on? Have I wasted my money on this recommended software (I'm also waiting for a reply from Symantic on this but their idea of 24 hours is rather optimistic)

johnsims 16:32 17 Aug 04

As the only really important thing on the PC is your data, I would advocate the following rather than using drive image:

Create a data partition. Point all your programs to save files to the data partition. This includes your mail boxes and address book. I would also put swap file/page file on Data drive too. Likewise Temp folder and temporary internet files. You will need to give a bit of thought to a directory structure for the data drive, but once in place it is a simple matter to back up as everything is on the data drive and can be dropped onto a CD or USB flash drive periodically. Other benefits include separation of your OS and progs from your data therefore C: doesn't get so fragmented and therefore everything will run that bit quicker. Also, futeure crashes of your OS or a prog will not trash your data. Once you've done that, taking an image of the C: drive so you can quickly restore your OS makes sense too.

Ebonytiger 16:43 17 Aug 04

I did that before - all my data was saved on a physically separate drive but for some reason the files became corrupted and brought down the whole system so this time I'm going for an external drive that can be disconnected most of the time and only used to backup.

bretsky 16:53 17 Aug 04

Have you read the read me text file?

Start>programs>Powerquest Drive image7>readme text. Known issues-6 pages of it, makes good reading!!??

I had this program some time ago and found that my DVD+RW was not supported so got my money back.

bretsky ;0)

woodchip 17:07 17 Aug 04

You could try this first remove DI from Add Remove in the Control Panel. Then copy the DI CD to your desktop. Restart Computer in Safe Mode by keep pressing F8 as it starts then run DI from the setup file in DI program on the desktop.

woodchip 17:08 17 Aug 04

You could try this first remove DI from Add Remove in the Control Panel. Then copy the DI CD to your desktop. Restart Computer in Safe Mode by keep pressing F8 as it starts then run DI from the setup file in DI program on the desktop.

PS your AV may have messed it up

Ebonytiger 18:23 17 Aug 04

Have managed to uninstall DI and this time it didn't affect the drives - (only did the same as several other attempts) but now I still can't uninstall the Microsoft.NET program that came with it - I wanted to do a complete re-install of both. I've tried in Add Remove and using Tweak XP but it says uninstall failed.

woodchip 21:16 17 Aug 04

you cn try this if you follow carefully.

To remove follow these step's closely, go to start\find\files or folders type in the box Microsoft.NET click enter key delete all the entry's it finds with Microsoft.NET in it. Next go to start run type regedit and press enter, go to menu under edit click find in the box type Microsoft.NET and press enter it will bring up only one entry at a time, press delete key then click ok to confirm to go to next entry press F3 and delete do this until you get to the end of the registry. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE IN THE REGISTRY other than Microsoft.NET then reboot your computer

Carafaraday 14:28 18 Aug 04

Does Drive Image not work in any dvd+rw drive? If so, I've just wasted a lot of money!

woodchip 14:34 18 Aug 04

The problem may be that it uses the Burning software that you use for the burner as in NERO or CD CREATORE or such

woodchip 14:37 18 Aug 04

And what I do in such cases, although more fiddly is create a Image store on different Partition then copy to DVD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…