Powerpoint Problem

The Teacher 21:11 16 Mar 12

I have loads of powerpoint presentations but have a couple that won't open on my machine. They are saved with the .ppt extension but I get the following message when I try to open them

"powerpoint can open the type of file G:\rrtt\2star m&c.ppt"

I have had this open before on my desktop and old laptop both of which run Win XP Pro and Office 2007 but not on my new laptop which runs Win7 Home Premium and Office 2010.

Could renaming the file work, or is it because there is a space in the file name?

Regards

The Teacher

lotvic 21:43 16 Mar 12

"is it because there is a space in the file name?"

only one way to find out...If it's on a CD/DVD copy it to your Harddrive first and replace the space with an underscore, rename it to rrtt\2star_m&c.ppt

lotvic 21:45 16 Mar 12

I meant to type without the rrtt\ so rename it to: 2star_m&c.ppt

The Teacher 21:51 16 Mar 12

The rrtt bit is the folder that it is saved in. I have other presentations in this folder that will open without a problem. On the drive it is just shown as 2Star m&c.

The G is my drive.

The Teacher

The Teacher 21:56 16 Mar 12

I have had a closer look at the properties and it shows that it is a powerpoint 2003 - 2007 presentation. I thought Office was backward compatible, so Office 10 would open previous versions of Office but you had to download a compatibility pack if you had e.g. Office 2007 to open Office 10 stuff.

The Teacher

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…