powerpoint 2007 problem

I have 2 computers where I work. One has office 2003 and the other office 2007. When I click on a link to a powerpoint (.ppt file) on a web site with the office 2003 computer using the Open button the presentation opens up with no problems. When I click on exactly the same link on the office 2007 PC using the Open button, powerpoint starts, but the page it opens is blank. If I Save the file to my desk top then open it with office 2007 it works fine.

Both computers are running Windows XP Professional and have exactly the same patches on them.

Is there a patch or work around that I can use to stop this happening. I know that I can get to the file using the Save button, but I really need to be able to use Open instead.

Many thanks in advance.

Graphicool1 14:10 04 Feb 09

Hi GoldenEagle

I don't use Ms Office, either variety. However, to open PowerPoint Presentations I do use the...
Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007.

Has your Full Office 2007 ever played PowerPoint? If it used to then try reinstalling it.

Graphicool1 15:03 04 Feb 09

PS

I forgot to mention...
Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007.
Is a FREE viewer.

Graphicool1. Thanks for your reply, but because both of the computers are running on a corporate network I am not able to install any extra software. I need to get it so that the Office 2007 computer can see the same thing as the Office 2003 computer.

When I hover over the link for the .ppt link it says that it is a powerpoint 98-2003 file, which I guess ties in with the 2003 / 2007 thing. Somehow I need to patch office 2007 or change a setting so that it is backwards compatible (something I would have thought would have been enabled from the start).

Marko797 16:41 04 Feb 09

According to ppt 2007 Help section:

In PowerPoint 2007, compatibility mode is triggered when you do any of the following:

Open a file that was saved in PowerPoint 97–2003 (.ppt) format.
Convert a PowerPoint 2007 file format to a PowerPoint 97–2003 file format by using Save As.
Set PowerPoint 2007 to save all presentations in PowerPoint 97–2003 format.

When you save a PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) file as a PowerPoint 97–2003 presentation (.ppt) file, PowerPoint 2007 automatically runs the Compatibility Checker to identify possible compatibility issues. The Compatibility Checker warns you about any content that may be incompatible with versions of PowerPoint earlier than PowerPoint 2007.

Seems u might have to save a pre-2007 as 97-2003, and then ppt 2007 is 'educated'. Not sure if this solves anything at your end?

Graphicool1 16:45 04 Feb 09

Hi GoldenEagle

You didn't answer my question...
Has your Full Office 2007 ever played PowerPoint?

As far as I'm aware this is the first time that this computer has been used for powerpoint. Word, excel, and outlook all work okay. I don't have another one in the office at the moment to see if that does the same. All the others that are here have office 2003 and they work okay. The one with the problem belongs to my MD, who always has to be different!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced