Powerpack failure - power pack fault?

nhojnhoj35 12:33 30 Mar 09

Hi,
I switched my desktop on yesterday and it died. There was what smelt like burning electrics and it seemed to be coming from the power pack.

When I hold the start button on the pc in I hear a very quick and low buzz then nothing.

I removed the power pack but how can I determine if this is the fault?

I have left the fan attached so should the fan start up if I plug the mains lead into the pack?

mooly 12:37 30 Mar 09

If the burning smell is from the PSU then there is a fair chance it is just that that has failed, with no other fault having caused it.

nhojnhoj35 12:48 30 Mar 09

but is there a way to test the powerpack on its own? its sat on my desk, I just don`t know what to do with it

mooly 12:58 30 Mar 09

Well you did ask... It depends on the PSU. Some switch mode types don't like running with no load, and may give unexpected results. Others and there is no problem.
The answer is yes you can test it. Run it up and measure the output voltages accurately. Then you should really test all the rails under load which is is where you come unstuck. Does anything burn.
After this your down to loading the rails with a dummy load and checking the regulation and so on.

wiz-king 13:05 30 Mar 09

Power supply tester click here

nhojnhoj35 13:18 30 Mar 09

ah! right then, not so straightforward.

next question then is how do I know which replacement to buy.

This one is an ATX 2.03(P4) 200X made by Codegen.
It is 300W and it says the following on the side,

AC Input 115/230VAC 8A/4A 50/60HZ
AC Output 115/230VAC 1A/0.5A 50/60HZ

DC Output +3.3v 14A +5v 20A 120w max.
-5V 0.5A -12v 0.8A 9.6W max.

nhojnhoj35 13:20 30 Mar 09

ah! right then, not so straightforward.

next question then is how do I know which replacement to buy.

This one is an ATX 2.03(P4) 200X made by Codegen.
It is 300W and it says the following on the side,

AC Input 115/230VAC 8A/4A 50/60HZ
AC Output 115/230VAC 1A/0.5A 50/60HZ

DC Output +3.3v 14A +5v 20A 120w max.
-5V 0.5A -12v 0.8A 9.6W max.
+5VSB 2A

Sorry if this is a dumb question but which bits of this are relevant and do they all have the same number of wires and connections and are they all the same size and all that kind of stuff (detail - the curse of the marketeer!), like this one for example....

click here

nhojnhoj35 13:22 30 Mar 09
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:19 30 Mar 09

PSU TEST
click here
click here

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.
3 The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply. Why weight matters click here

2. Power supply calculator click here

3. Correct connections
Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin
There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs
Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives
SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

Guide to changing PSU
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…