power/motherboard connection

Tree3 08:58 28 Nov 03

hi,
i connected my motherboard upto the PSU and plugged everything in and turned the power on but nothing happened at all

Tree3 10:53 28 Nov 03

cant anyone help me

Gongoozler 11:06 28 Nov 03

Hi Tree3. There have been a few threads on this theme recently, some have been resolved and some have come to a dead end without resolution. I hope yours ends in success;-)

If there is absolutely no response to pressing the on button, the first thing is to eliminate as many possibilities as possible. Check the obvious, is there power getting to the computer, make sure there is power at the mains socket, and getting through the cable to the power supply, and that any fuses in the power supply are intact.

Disconnect/remove anything from the motherboard that is not absolutely necessary for a first boot, this leaves only the power supply, the power-on switch, processor, heatsink with fan, a stick of memory, graphics card, case speaker. Especially check the power-on switch leads are in the correct position. You can even replace the switch with a pair of wires that you can momentarily touch together to perform the swith-on function. Make sure that the BIOS reset link is not in the reset position, and that there are no shorts between the motherboard and the case. You can rest the motherboard on a sheet of card to make sure of this. The motherboard should now boot up, complete the POST and then report that there is no operating system. If it doesn't, then the problem has to be in the power supply, motherboard, processor, memory or graphics card.

vinnyT 12:17 28 Nov 03

I know this is obvious, have you turned the psu power switch (at the back of pc) to on?

Scillonia 12:47 28 Nov 03

Is the power setting set to 230-240 volts and not 110v!

Tree3 21:29 28 Nov 03

when i press power the internal fan starts spinning for a split second then cuts off i have tried puttin the power button cable on a different way but the same just happens any other suggestions???

DieSse 23:26 28 Nov 03

Check that your fans are connected to the correct points. If your CPU fan is not connected to the correct point, the motherboard may decide the fan isn't working, and switch off the PSU immediately to prevent overheating damage.

Tree3 09:16 29 Nov 03

the fan was on correctly and the plug only went in one way

the motherboard is a K7S5A motherboard with AMD Athlon XP2600+ and all the jumpers are set to factory default

Gongoozler 09:57 29 Nov 03

What is the power supply rating. I think you need a 400W supply for a system with an XP2600 processor.

Tree3 10:54 29 Nov 03

I GOT IT WORKING BUT THE PROCESSOR IS WORKING AT XP1800+ how do i change it to 2600

Tree3 12:24 29 Nov 03

its an AMD Athlon XP2400+ but working as an XP1800+

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017