Powerline wireless access point - help!

Hendrikus 20:31 10 May 09

We've recently bought a powerline wireless access point set to transfer our internet connection from our lounge through the mains to the office, from where it should be able to be picked up either with cable or wirelessly. We cannot get our office PC to connect to the internet using cable through the powerline devices. The internet connection in the lounge comes in to our wireless router (this works fine, we have checked). The wireless router is attached with cable to the first powerline device, which plugs into the mains in the lounge. The second powerline device is then plugged into the mains in the office and attached with cable to our PC. When we first set it up it worked briefly, but soon stopped working i.e. IE cannot find the page and the network connection is local only. Can anyone help?

mgmcc 08:36 11 May 09

There is a problem with Vista where a network adapter can connect with "Local" access only instead of "Local and Internet". The problem is extremely widespread, but I've yet to find a definite solution. The problem is with Vista, not your network plugs!

Things to try:

1) If you have more than one network adapter, e.g. a "Local Area Connection" and a "Wireless Network Connection", disable whichever is not being used (right click and select Disable), thereby forcing Vista to use the 'active' adapter for Internet access.

2) In the network connections Properties, disable TCP/IP version 6 (the next generation of IP addressing which is not yet in use).

3) Disable TCP Auto-Tuning:

Open a Command Prompt window with administrator privileges, type in...

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

...and press Enter.

[Note: to re-enable TCP Auto-Tuning type in...

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal

...and press Enter.]

See if that improves things.

Hendrikus 21:59 12 May 09

Thanks for your e-mail - I have disabled autotuning and still no joy. I think there might be an IP address issue as I get an error message that the network adaptor doesn't have a valid IP configuration. I don't understand why as according to the manual the IP address of the plug is 192.168.1.2. I have set the IP address of the PC for the purposes of the local network to be 192.168.1.3 with default gateway 192.168.1.2., which is what the manual told me to do. If I set the PC to find its own IP address it doesn't help. DHCP is enabled which I thought meant that each device I add would find its own IP address within a set range anyway. It is very frustrating!

mgmcc 23:45 12 May 09

>>> I don't understand why as according to the
>>> manual the IP address of the plug is
>>> 192.168.1.2. I have set the IP address of the
>>> PC for the purposes of the local network to be
>>> 192.168.1.3 with default gateway 192.168.1.2.,
>>> which is what the manual told me to do

That doesn't sound right. If you have two 'powerline' devices and one has the address 192.168.1.2 what is the address of the other? Each device in the network must have a unique IP address and they must all be in the same Subnet (IP address range) as the Router - presumably your Router is 192.168.1.1? Also, it should be the *router's* IP address which is the Default Gateway address, not a 'powerline' device.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now