Powerline or Wireless for XP PC

matt-few 05:20 31 Aug 14

I am looking to upgrade our existing wireless network setup from our Virgin Media Superhub 2 to a Netgear Nighthawk. All of the devices on the house are wireless except for a XP PC downstairs using a TP-Link 1/10/100 Powerline 500 starter kit.

The PC is approx 40 metres away from where the new router would be sited in the house.

Is it possible that a Netgear 6200 802.11ac USB adaptor would better and faster on the PC than using the existing TP-Link Powerlines?

Thanks in advance. Matt

Woolwell 10:05 31 Aug 14

I'm not sure what you are going to gain. The Superhub2 has dual band and quite good wifi range and will still have to be used as the modem. The limiting factor for the XP will be how it connects. Cable is invariably quicker than wifi.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:41 31 Aug 14

Is it possible that a Netgear 6200 802.11ac USB adaptor would better and faster on the PC than using the existing TP-Link Powerlines?

No

Secret-Squirrel 11:27 31 Aug 14

Apologies for contradicting the other forum members but 802.11ac has a theoretical maximum speed of one gigabit per second. Your homeplugs on the other hand have a theoretical maximum speed of 100 megabits (ten times slower). No one though will ever reach those top speeds but 802.11ac should be significantly faster.

You need to ask yourself if there are any benefits to enabling 802.11ac on your XP PC. If you don't need to share very large files at super-speeds on your home network, and your Virgin Internet download speed is less than around 80Mbps then you may as well stick with your homeplugs as you won't notice any better performance with 802.11ac and it'll be a waste of your time and money.

Secret-Squirrel 12:14 31 Aug 14

That's a good point Rumple. I failed to spot the OP saying that the PC was 40 metres away from the router. In that case the wireless performance could be very poor and unreliable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…