powering down

Tycho 22:15 19 Feb 05

I see in the April PCA we are advised never to power down a computer. The writer claims that it is in powering up that the computer is under maximum stress.

I have read elsewhere that in business where computers are commonly left running a HDD will last nut 3 years. Mine is 6 years old and shows no sign of failing.

The other consideration is one of energy saving. The number of computers left on unnecessarily must be making a sginificant difference to energy usage.

Opinions?

T

VoG II 22:19 19 Feb 05

The wasted energy is dispersed as heat (first law of thermodynamics).

Therefore in a temperature-controlled environment (as most of us are) you will waste some through your PC but save on your central heating.

In theory!

FelixTCat 22:21 19 Feb 05

Sounds like so much hot air to me!

In business environments they like to apply global updates overnight - can't do it if the poor workers turn their computers off.

ensonricky 23:32 19 Feb 05

The PC's are usually shutdown by the workers then booted and powered down remotely to apply updates overnight.

FelixTCat 07:36 20 Feb 05

Not in the one I used to work in.

ensonricky 07:42 20 Feb 05

That's progress for you!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…