Powered USB Hub

bpzoom 00:45 23 May 03

700mhz 256mb ram, Win XP Home, AOL8 Broadband
I have two USB ports and use them for the broadband modem and the printer. Can anyone tell me what advantage if any I might get from installing a powered USB hub, and plugging the printer and broadband modem into that.I read somewhere it might improve broadband speed?

-pops- 05:42 23 May 03

Printers and modems often do not work very well connected via a USB hub. They work even less well if both are connected via the same hub.

You are better with the setup you have already and if you need more USB ports, buy a USB PCI card which will give you 4 or 5 NEW USB ports.

Do you have a problem with your broadband speed? You can check and compare it if you click here and look top left aand click on "Speed Test".

Brian

bpzoom 09:55 23 May 03

Thanks POPS, No I find the AOL broadband as fast as I had expected. I will take your advice about the USB hub and printer/modem connection. Thanks again for your help, Brian

-pops- 11:21 23 May 03

You're welcome:-))

The Spires 11:52 23 May 03

Scan click here do a very nice 5 Port USB internal PCI card for 11.74 inc VAT.

I have fitted four or five recently with out problems. All have been recognized by windows and self installed the drivers. If you have a spare PCI slot you can go wrong.

The Spires 11:53 23 May 03

P.S. USB 2.0 card.

-pops- 11:53 23 May 03

I use these Scan cards as well!!

bpzoom 12:57 23 May 03

The Spires, Thanks for that, when it comes to USB 2.0 I am out of my depth. Don't your peripherals, printers,scanners etc have to be USB 2.0 compatable? I will have to read up on USB 2.0 and get to understand what it is and what the system requirements may be.

xania 13:42 23 May 03

For all your USB queries look at click here

Its free, its quick, its good.

Oh yes - and they don't like using Hubs straight off those sockets at the back of trhe motherboard.

bpzoom 16:37 23 May 03

Thanks for the USB link Xania, I will read it with interest. Brian

The Spires 21:04 23 May 03

All your USB 1.xx gear will work fine with USB 2.0 sockets, it's all backward compatable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…