Powered USB hardware

johnanthony 15:37 06 Dec 06

When I connect hardware that need power, like a hub or an IPOD or even a wireless mouse transmitter, when I come to turn off the computer it gets the "windows is closing down" page and then just hangs.

I have to then power the machine down from the supply and remove the USB hardware and then power up and then shut down again.

My printer runs from a USB port and does not cause the problem, it has a seperate power supply of course.
Thanks for any help in advance

Technotiger 15:41 06 Dec 06

Hi, sounds as if you need a Powered USB Hub.

johnanthony 15:51 06 Dec 06

Thats one of the culprits. I plugged in a powered 4 way hub to a USB port and then that's when the problem started.
On the card there are 6 ports, 2 of them are inside on the card and the other 4 are accessible from the outside at the back of the case. Do the internal ports have a different power supply or configuration. In other words, without taking the cover off does anyone know if I would get the same problem if I used them?
J

Technotiger 15:58 06 Dec 06

Hmmm, inside ports are still powered from mobo on some, but might also have a further power connector on usb card. No harm in trying internal usb ports, it won't blow anything up!

Technotiger 15:59 06 Dec 06

ps - I suppose it is possible that the external powered usb hub could be clashing with the internal card, if this also is powered separately inside the tower. Just guessing though.

johnanthony 16:05 06 Dec 06

It is sounding hardware related. I was hoping it was as simple as checking or unchecking a box in some set up or properties screen.
I am in a Computer club and several of us have this problem.

Technotiger 16:11 06 Dec 06

Have a look here, see if anything might help ...

click here

Technotiger 16:13 06 Dec 06

If you scroll down, you will see mention of usb shutdown problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now